Chapter 4

Sunday, a day that I don't like anymore. When I was small and we would go on missions, if it was Sunday, my mom would drag us to church. I didn't mind it, although there were definitely some better and some worse of them. I liked the churches where we got to stand up, dance, sing, and hold hands while hearing beautiful lively stories best. Other ones were silent, still, and the preacher droned on and on about how we were all going to hell if we didn't do this, or did this, or were a certain way. In those sermons we would only sing soft slow hymn's and have to sit still.

I remember how mom used to do her hair, it was always up in all sorts of curls and braids and a bun, it made her look like a princess. Then she would do mine, sometimes it was curls pulled into a ribbon with a bow, other times it was braided with flowers. It always took a long time to do, but I sat there liking how gentle she was with it. Occasionally dad would even let me brush his hair into a bun too.

Now Sundays are just a memoir of peace, filled with pain from the past and anxiety for the week to come. I now just sleep in. 

Today is also extra bad because Nick has decided they have to get back to regular missions. They're going to try to make it so one person is always home with me.

I think Nick will too. And yes, I know Nick Fury, director of S.H.E.I.L.D. I also know Margret Carter, she was friends with who I learned is my real grandmother, Dottie Underwood, she contacted my mother while we were on a mission and helped make plans to get us out of that horrid system. So she made Nick send someone named Clint Barton to get me, just like he did Nat, though he hasn't told her, he doesn't know I'm here.

Nick and me are pretty close though, him being one of the very select few to know my past. I even know about his rendezvous with a women refered to as Captain Marvel. I think that deep down, underneath all that leather, he cares about me. I mean he lets me do very thorough background checks on foster parents, I like to do my own along with the systems. Sometimes he sends me on small missions he needs someone young for, but mostly he has to help me with littler things. Back when he had to take his death, I was one of the only ones who knew he was still alive, he actually stayed with me at one point.

I just hope no one gets hurt on this mission.