Chapter 12 - The Hybrid

Arianna's POV:

"Are you okay?" Nik teased Stefan. "Is Ray getting heavy?" We'd left the bar straight away and headed straight for Ray's pack. Since Ray was 'dead' Stefan was carrying him on his back through the forest. Nik and I were walking next to him holding hands.

"I'm fine." Stefan replied shortly.

"You sure about that?" I sarcastically asked.

"We've been walking for quite some time now." Nik moved me in front of him so I wouldn't walk into a bush. "Do you need some water or a little sit-down?"

"I know you were only teasing and you weren't talking to me," I interrupted him. "but I really can't walk any further."

"Are you okay?" Nik ignored Stefan now that he was worried about me.

"Not really." I groaned. "I don't feel well and I feel like I'm gonna pass out."

"Come here." He went in front of me and picked me up in both arms.

"Thanks, Nikky." I snuggled into his chest.

"You're very welcome, my love." He kissed my forehead and then went back to annoying Stefan.

"You know, I get that we're stuck together..." Stefan started. "but if we could maybe just skip the chitchat, it'd be great."

I chuckled sleepily, "So broody."

Nik laughed at me, "You're self-loathing is suffocating you, my friend."

"Maybe it's because I'm a little tired of hunting werewolves." Stefan bit back.

"Mmm." I hummed in agreement. "He has a point there, Nik."

"Go to sleep, moya lyubov." Nik looked down at me.

"Mm, yeah." I snuggled into his chest even more. "Good idea." As soon as my eyes closed, I was out like a light.

When I woke up, I was laid in a sleeping bag on the floor. Nik must've got it off one of the wolves. I sat up and noticed the dead wolves all around me.

"Well, I missed a lot, didn't I?" I said, causing Nik to speed over to me.

"Yes, you did, my love." He helped me up.

"Where's Stefan?" I noticed he wasn't here.

"Gone to find Ray. He woke up, freaked out and ran into the forest so I sent Stefan to find him." Nik explained.

"Ah, that makes sense." I nodded. Then I noticed Nik had a bit of blood dripping down his chin. I wiped it off with my thumb and licked it off my own thumb. This made Nik smirk. He must be loving my new vampiric abilities.

"Ray was bleeding from his eyes, Anna." Nik mumbled. "I don't know if this'll work."

"Don't worry, handsome." I patted his cheek. "Even if it doesn't work, you have a very powerful tribrid on your side to figure out what to do."

Nik then went and sat on a log and I followed him but sat on the floor in front of him in between his legs. He started to massage my shoulders. Well, that is, until all the werewolves started to wake up. The only problem is they were all bleeding from their eyes.

"Bad news, my friend." Nik told the human. "End of the road for you." He but his beck and started drinking his blood.

"Hey! Don't drink all of it. I need some." I complained.

He stopped and smiled at me, "Sorry love." And handed me the human. I was about to drink the rest of his blood when I heard Nik say, "Careful love. There's only one alpha here." I sighed, snapped the boy's neck and went and stood next to Nik. "Bloody hell." Nik exclaimed when all of the wolves started surrounding us.

Nik came closer to me and wrapped his arm around my waist protectively whilst glaring at the bloody wolves. He was about to start attacking them all but I put my hand on his arm to stop him. I did a spell non-verbally to kill the ones that hadn't already bled out.

A few minutes later, Stefan returned with a dead Ray over his shoulders. He looked over to us where Klaus was sat on a log and I was stood behind him massaging his shoulders.

"They went rabid." Klaus explained. "Some of them Anna killed, the others bled out." He stood up and walked over to Stefan. "In the end... they're all dead." He screamed and threw a beer bottle at a tree, smashing it. I looked at him sadly. "I did everything I was told! I should be able to turn them. I broke the curse. I killed a werewolf. I killed a vampire. I killed the doppelgänger." I saw Stefan look at bit guilty at that, which made me a bit concerned. I'll keep an eye on him. Nik finally looked up at Stefan. "You look like hell."

"Last I checked, I'm dying." His arm looked horrendous. "And you don't wanna heal me." He looked down at Ray. "I had to take him out. I didn't have a choice. I failed you, I'm sorry. Do what you have to do."

"It should've worked." Is all Nik said before he picked up a beer bottle, bit his wrist and let himself bleed into the bottle. He handed it to Stefan. "Bottoms up. We're leaving." He slowly started to walk away before he stopped and looked at the dead wolves. "It appears you and Anna are the only comrades I have left." Then he walked back the way we came.

I ran after him and grabbed him hand, "I'm sorry it didn't work, Nik. I know how much you wanted it to work." We stopped walking so I hugged him with my arms around his shoulders and his around my waist. "Just know you'll always have me. I'll always love you, Niklaus Mikaelson."

"And I'll always love you, Arianna Mikaelson." He pulled away and kissed me.

"Oh, by the way," I pulled away this time. "we're staying at a hotel tonight. I am not sleeping in that car again."

He chuckled, "Okay, love. I'm fine with that."

We managed to get two hotel rooms. Obviously mine and Nik's was a lot better than Stefan's but oh well. We got ready for bed and Nik laid his head on my stomach. My hand automatically went to his head to play with his hair.

"I love you so much, Anna." He muttered sleepily.

"I love you too, Nik." I smiled. "Go to sleep."

"Okay, Anna. We're off to Chicago tomorrow, by the way." He yawned and got more comfortable, mainly just moving his head further onto me.

"Okay, mi amor. Just go to sleep. It's been a long day." I carried on playing with his hair and fell asleep just after he did.