First of all

First of all, the basics of being a witch.
You may see everywhere «research all this» and «you cant be a witch unless u know all this» Personally i think this is not true.

The witches history are important to know about, is true, but you dont have to know it all in your head to call yourself a witch.

First of all when it comes to research, is to always be critic. Dont take anything for granted, therefore i will recommend to cross-reference*.  There for sure are different beliefs and paths a witch can choose to follow, but when it comes to the properties of things in nature and certain other things, it is misinformation that can lead others to get a spell wrong.
Now you may wonder; What is important to research before doing any magick?**
Well, here is my personal recommendations;
-The basics; protection, grounding, warding, cleansing and banishing.
-Basic herbs properties (and crystals if you choose to work with them)
-The properties of what you can find in nature around you (everything have magickal properties)
-The kinds of magick you can perform (candle magick, spell jars, rituals etc.)
-Open and closed practices***
-Racist or extreme groups(so you can acknowledge them and keep distance)

Now, with this knowledge, i wont recommend doing all kinds of spells just yet, but now you should be able to cleanse yourself and your space, as well as doing some protection and banishing.
For further research i will personally recommend;
-Types of witches
-Return to sender/reverse a hex spell
-Divination (not all types, one or two will be a good start)
-Meditation and visualization
-Sybols and sigils
-Color magick
-How to recognize and identify attacks

There will always be some practioners that want you to learn more before starting, and some thinks some of this is not needed yet for a beginner. The best tips i have for this is to follow your intuition and try go your own path, but be open for help from other witches. There is a big difference between getting help from and letting them control your path.

*Cross-reference: When you research, read and compare multiple sites and books to get the most trustful results.
**Magick: Magick is used as magic when it comes to witchcraft. You can tell the difference as fantasy/disney have magic, and real life witches have magick.
***Closed practice: Closed practice is a practice you have to be born or married into in order to practice. Unless you are, you cant claim any vlosed practice.