Chapter Five - Ruling

Chapter Five -Ruling

SHE COULDN'T HAVE been any more than fifteen years old, her skin a ghostly pale, eyes large, and sleek black hair that was choppy at her shoulders. Her face had a scatter of bumps, some just small while others were large and red with anger. She gave a friendly smile, her eyes glanced from Edrain -the one that disrupted her- to me. She nodded her head, a little too enthusiastic.

"Yes," she says, setting shears down and placing the flowers back into their vase." Please, follow me."

She turned on her heels, and the black skirt she wore beneath a waist-ruffled apron shifted with the movement. The slight nudge from Edrain at my side prompted me into motion, following silently behind her. My wrists are still bound, yet I wasn't worried about that at the moment.

"-You will serve this castle for ninety-five days."

I didn't have any words to say. It could have been the shock or the disbelief. The King didn't say anything more after that. He left without sparing a second, waving his hand at Edrain who escorted me out of the room. I hadn't known what he meant by serving the castle, but it became clear when we approached this maid cutting the bottom off flowers. Edrain had asked her to lead us to the serving hall, whatever that meant, and to meet with Miss Irene, whoever that may be.

The walk was silent as we continued from one hall to the next. The hall was identical to the one before it, nothing seemingly changed. Everything sort of blended, I couldn't tell whether we were taking rights, lefts, or keeping straight after a while in the labyrinth. Edrain didn't steer me by holding onto me, he walked beside me following the young teen without touching me. I glanced at him a few times, but his expressionless face gave way to nothing.

In truth, I had no idea what I was looking for.

"Here we are," the girl's soft voice broke through my thoughts.

We had come to a stop in a circular, open hall. Just like the halls, this circular one was the same. Ahead of us was an archway that led to a narrow hall which is a complete contrast to the others I had been guided through. The walls were stone, the floor concrete, and the ceiling was hidden by darkness. Candle holders were lining the walls lit, the flames of the candles dancing in a draught that caused goosebumps to run along my arms.

"This is the serving hall?" Edrain inquired.

"Yes, I can lead her to Miss Irene from here," the girl says, smiling.

"Very well," he nods to her, then eyes me and my wrists. "I will free your hands. This is the start of your days in the castle, serving as a maid here. This is the King's ruling and you will follow the Head Maid's instructions."

It was quick. The rope was cut and fell away. I rolled my wrists, sighing in relief. One hand gripped the other wrist, and vice versa. I looked at Edrain, who gave a curt nod and turned away.

"Come," the girl says, motioning for me to follow her.

Plus, it wasn't a choice.

We headed through the archway walking down the narrow stone hallway that held many doors. A damp, moldy smell was lingering in the air causing me to wrinkle my nose. It wasn't a pleasant aroma to breathe in. The girl walked ahead of me for a few minutes before slowing till she fell in step beside me.

"I'm Charlie, by the way," she said suddenly. "What's your name?"

"Lenora...," I said, shrugging.

A name gifted to me from my great-great-grandmother on my mother's side.

"But, you can call me Nora,"

A nickname that was given to me by my father, one I use more than my full name.