Chapter Seven - Cautionary Advice

Chapter Seven -Cautionary Advice

WHEN MORNING CAME, it took its time. Just like the sleep that never came until dawn broke. I could blame the soft mattress that I wasn't used to having or Alanza's -not so soft- snores that became angry through the night. It was easier to blame those things, but I knew it was my racing mind that made it hard to sleep once I came from the bathing room. Thoughts of my mother overwhelmed me, imagining her expression when she saw me being choked, appeared every time my eyes closed.

Those weren't the only thoughts in my mind, I remembered that pregnant woman from the cells, her words, and song -that sounded so familiar. And, of course, I was curious as to where Charlie went last night. By the time I was able to settle these constant thoughts, the sun was rising and I was just drifting to sleep. 

______________

I awoke with a violent shake and frantic knocking echoing through the room followed by a loud voice.

"Morning! Morning! Tasks must be started!" It shouted.

I sat upright in my bed, rubbing my eyes as I turned them on Alanza, who stood a few feet away. She gave a half-hearted smile, and nodded slightly, walking backward to her bed. She was already dressed in a knee-length plain, short sleeve black dress with buttons down the front. A creamy waist apron tied at her small waist. She slid her feet into black loafers with thick soles, excusing herself to the bathing room. 

There was still awkwardness between us from last night's dispute. I knew it wasn't gonna go away until one of us spoke up, yet I wasn't going to. I held very strong beliefs, and it was obvious she did as well. I pulled out the dresser drawers, taking out a dress identical to the one that Alanza was wearing. I replaced the clothes I was wearing with this black dress that hung loosely around me. The only fitted feeling I got was from the apron I tied at my waist. I was never very stylish, even though I worked in many sewing shops, but this dress wasn't flattering and I appreciated it. 

By the time my roommate made it back, I was fully dressed.

_____________

Alanza told me Miss Irene wished for us to meet this morning, so after breakfast which consisted of light brown oatmeal served with a side of a slice of apple, I made my way to Miss Irene's room with the help of Alanza. The moment I knocked, her door swung open revealing the same withered face from last night. This time her hair was slicked into a neat top-bun and her outfit was the same as the one I wore. 

"Good morning, Nora," she greeted with a smile, opening her door wider and motioning for me to come in. "How was your night?."

"It was fine," I replied, following her to the same table we took a seat at last night.

"That is lovely to hear," she smiled. "Well, I called to check in and to let you know that you will be shadowing your roommate, Alanza. She is a great servant here, and I hope you can learn from her. She will show you more of the castle today, give you a better tour and guide you through the hallways. They are quite intimidating, but no worries, they are easy to follow. Any questions?"

I shook my head. 

"Good! I'm sure Alanza is hanging around waiting for you," She said, dismissing me. 

I nodded, standing and thanking Miss Irene. As I reached her door, Miss Irene spoke once more.

"Please do well to remember your manners, Lenora,"

I glanced towards her, eyebrows knitting. 

"I'm the Head Maid, Nora, I know why you are here," She says, eyeing me. "The Wolves here don't take disrespect well, remember your place…"

"My place…?" I repeated, slowly.

I could feel Miss Irene's eyes on me, observing my reaction. I need to contain the anger that wants to be unleashed. I hated being told to know my place. It's what I heard over and over again. A reason I had to bow my head, was to learn this place that these wolves placed us in. We were human yet, treated like mindless things.

"Yes, think before you act… speak. It will save you from trouble. Take this, as a bit of cautionary advice," she said.

I swallowed hard, fingers gripping the round doorknob.

"Now, hurry along, Alanza is waiting."

I turned leaving her room behind, her words causing anger to remain just beneath the surface. I knew she was right, but I wasn't gonna agree with her. If I stop to truly think about everything, I know my recklessness and anger brought me here. But, also, something as missing curfew by a minute shouldn't cause my arrest. If the Wolves weren't so strict on following their laws and offered leniency to us, then I would still be home and my mother wouldn't have to worry about me barely making it home with her medicine.

It was the Wolves' fault.

Everything was their fault.

I was breathing heavily, trying to reign in the anger I had. I stopped walking, nails digging into my palm as I took a few breaths. I needed to put up my facade again, I needed to not show an ounce of emotion. I need to know… my place. To do that, I needed to remember my mother who was home without me. I needed to remember that she was all I had left, it was her and I. She had no one else. By the time, I gathered myself, pushing down emotions -and the anger- Alanza had found me.

"Ready?" She asked.

"Yes," I said, nodding my head.

I needed to focus on something that was very important to me and that was my mother. My goal had always been to stay with her, to live without causing her worry. I had forgotten that at the moment I was seized for missing curfew, now I must get back home to her.

And I will do anything necessary, even bowing my head to the beasts. 

I was following close behind Alanza, maybe too close, when she stopped abruptly causing me to run into her back. I took a few steps back, frowning.

"Are you-"

"I'm sorry," she said, cutting me off, turning to face me. 

Our eyes meet.

"I'm sorry for yesterday. It's obvious that we both have different views, but I shouldn't have tried to…" she sighed, her hands pushing into her dress pockets. "I know many people think like you, most don't say it aloud because of fear. But, I truly believe not all of the Wolves are the same and I'm not gonna try to change your view on it. Every one of us had different experiences, and for that, I'm sorry."

I was speechless. I wanted to tell her that she didn't have to be sorry, that the Wolves should be sorry. That what happened is because of them, no one else and I hated them for it. But, I corrected myself remembering my resolve just moments before. 

"Then, I should apologize too," I said, sticking my hand out. "I only met you and Charlie, so far, and I would rather have a few friends while I am here."

She smiled, shaking my hand.

"Then, friends we are… Now, we should hurry. I have a few things to tell you before we start with the tasks I have today."

I nodded.

It was the truth. I accepted her apology and agreed with her that we all had different experiences, but I believe we all shared one experience. That as humans we were less than the Wolves, no matter how nice one is to us.

______________

Thanks for Reading!

Question: What is your favorite genre? It can be book or movie!

If there are any mistakes you spot while reading you can let me know!

Other than that, Vote, Comment, or click 'Add to library' for notification when another chapter is posted at YOUR will!

Unedited. Maybe more mistakes than usual. Also, Wattpad is being weird about my images, so I will come back and fix things tomorrow.