Chapter 2: Gas Station Boy

Deli's POV:

As we drive Belly sings extra loud to the music playing on the radio. I laugh, occasionally joining it, but mostly just enjoying her excitement. "Uh, can you guys turn it down a little?" Laurel asks from beside me. "Yes please." Steven rolls his eyes as he does what she asked.

"Thank you. I want you to be better about helping out this summer. Like, don't just leave your dishes in the sink. Load them into the dishwasher. And not just your own dish either Steven. I don't want to see Deli being the only one cleaning up around the house. It's not solely her job."

Most days, when everyone has something they're doing and Belly and I are just lounging around the house she swims while I bake and clean up. It relaxes me. Jeremiah actually started helping me with cooking and baking last summer, which was both amazing and counter productive.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I burned myself last summer. "What? But I-" "I want you to be good house gusts." "Mom, Susannah has people who clean, doesn't she?" Steven asks. Laurel smacks the back of his head. "Steven!" "Ow! Alright, alright. Sorry." He grumbles.

"Just be considerate and act like I raised you right. Steven, that means don't stay out too late." "Mom, I'm too old for a curfew!" He complains. "Wait, what about me and Deli? We don't have a curfew either, right?" Belly asks, glancing over her shoulder at her mom. Steven laughs.

"What do the two of you need a curfew for? Neither of you go anywhere. I mean, seriously. I would love to see you drag Deli anywhere but the beach, the pool, or the kitchen." I glare and smack the back of his head like Laurel did. "Hey!" "Don't be a jackass Steven."

"What?" He asks like he said nothing wrong. "Belly, we'll talk about it when something comes up. Same thing goes for you Deli." Belly sighs in defeat. "Oh, and don't forget, you promised us you'd take us driving." She reminds her brother.

"Belly, I told you I'd take the both of you." Laurels says. "Yeah, but you're too judgey." Steven laughs. "Excuse me? I'm not judgey, am I Deli?" She asks, turning to me. I shrug. "I mean, not really-" I grin, thinking of something.

"-but then again she doesn't have to instruct me as much as Belly Button." I say poking her side through the gap between the seats and the doors. She flinches. "Really Deli? Et tu?" I roll my eyes at her dorky comment, but grin none the less. After not too long we pull into Russell's.

We always stop here on our way in. While Steven pumps gas Belly, Laurel, and I go in to get snacks and use the bathroom. While Laurel walks to the bathroom Belly makes a beeline for the Cheetos. I roll my eyes and cross my arms as she dives straight into a bag.

I chuckle slightly at this. That's when we both notice the two cash register attendants grinning at us. Both look around our age, and one is definitely more attractive than the other. "Hey." They both grin. I blush slightly as the cute one winks at me. He gives me major rocker vibes. I love it.

I grab myself a Dr. Pepper and some Honey BBQ Flavor Twist Fritos before walking over to the cute boy's cash register while Belly goes to the other one. Despite Laurel literally taking care of me since practically birth, I still don't like her paying for anything for me.

I got a job at the beginning of the year teaching music lessons to kids and it pays pretty well since there isn't another teacher in our neighborhood. I hear Belly talking to the other boy while I place my things down. "Road trip or are you new here?"

"Uh, no. My family and I have been coming to Cousins since before I was born." I explain, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear in nervousness. "Really? You sure because I definitely would have remembered someone like you." He flirts. This just makes my blushing worse.

"Uh, yeah, I'm sure. I don't really get out too much while I'm here. I kinda stay close to home." "Well, if you're up to it, you should come to the bonfire tonight." I think for a second. "I'll think about it..." "Kai." "Delilah." "Well Delilah, I hope to see you tonight."

I grin and quickly pay before walking out of the gas station where Laurel is already waiting with Belly. Belly looks mortified. Once Laurel is in the car she turns to me. "You get invited to the bonfire?" She asks. I nod. "I'm guessing you did too. Think the boys and moms will let us go?"

"Hell no." I groan and with that we climb in and start the last part of the drive to the beach house. I'm so excited. I grin as Belly sticks her head out the window, taking in all of Cousins as we drive. Finally I see it and grin. The beach house. I take a deep breath and take it in.

I've missed this place. Every time I leave, I always miss it. No matter how much time has passed. Once we reach the house I hop and head to the back as Steven honks the horn to let everyone know we're here. I open my guitar case to make sure everything is intact from the drive down.

It's all ok. One time it got dented in a car ride and ever since I've been particular on how it traveling, but it's fine. This guitar is everything to me. I'm closing the case when I hear it. His voice. It still has the power to make my heart skip a beat.

I have no doubt in my mind that his eyes will still make me melt just like they always have. Since we were little kids. I take a deep breath and close the trunk when I hear it again. His beautiful voice. "So where's Deli?"