Chapter 14: Electric Touch

Deli's POV:

When we reach the club, the others are waiting at the side door for us. "Finally, we've been waiting forever." Brookes groans, stomping his feet like a little kid. Hazel rolls her eyes. "We've been waiting for three minutes max." She assures.

"Come on, we're about to start warm up." Sawyer grins, already walking into the building. We all follow after her. I grin as I step inside. Honestly, the Shack is an interesting place. My favorite local seafood joint hands down. The owner, Benny Martin is a well known local.

I've never actually come on open mic night. Hell, I rarely ever leave the house. I'm nervous, but I'm also excited. On the way here I texted Susanna and Laurel, telling them about the gig and to tell them to tell the others. I hope they show up. Backstage is small and quaint, but I love it.

Our instruments are all set up. I sit to the side while I listen to them warm up, jumping in when my song came up. They're all playing all night and I'm just doing the one song we practiced all day with them.

They tried to get me to learn the other songs and sing with them all night, but I decided against it. I'm just barely dipping my toes into this kind of playing and I didn't want to over do it on my first go with it. Maybe next time though.

Soon The Shack opens and customers start flooding in and the band starts playing their set. I sit backstage enjoying the music. Every once in a while Kai would look over at me and wink, causing a blush to spread across my face. The song before mine starts to play and I get a text.

It's from Susanna telling me that her, Laurel, and Belly are all sitting in the crowd. Apparently Jeremiah, Conrad, and Steven are coming, but got held up. A large smile fills my face at the text. Right as I go to reply the song come to an end and Kai starts talking into his mic.

As he talks, Cami puts my mic in its place. "This next song was written with a friend of ours and it only feels right having her sing it with us. Please welcome Delilah Montgomery to the stage." Cheers echo across the restaurant and a nervous jolt runs through me.

I can hear Laurel, Susann, and Belly cheering. They're the loudest. Kai gives me a reassuring smile. Taking a deep breath, I put a smile on my face and walk confidently onto the stage. Once the cheers die down I grip my mic. "This song is called Electric Touch, I hope you like it."

Stepping back, Kai smiles at me one last time before nodding to Brookes who counts us in.

Deli

Just breath, just relax, it'll be okay
Just an hour 'till your car's in the driveway
Just the first time ever hanging out with you

Tonight

I've got my money on things going badly
Got a history of stories ending sadly
Still hoping that the fire won't burn me

Just one time
Just one time

Feeling a bit more confident, I take my mic off it's stand and start working the stage.

Deli and Cami

All I know
Is the could either break my heart
Or bring it back to life

Got a feelin' your electric touch
Could fill this ghost town ups with life

And I want you now
Wanna need you forever

In the heat of your electric touch
Mm-mm

I glance over at Kai before he starts his part and for what has to be the eighth time tonight, he winks at me. 

Kai

I've been left in the rain, lost and pining
I'm tryin' hard not to look like I'm trying
'Cause every time I tried hard for love it fell apart (oh-oh)

Kai and Cami

I've gotten used to no one callin' my phone
I've grown accustomed to sleepin' alone
Still, I know that all it takes is to get it right just one time

Once again, Kai and I make eye contact and we hold it as we belt out the next lyric.

Deli and Kai

Just one time!

It takes everything in my to look away from Kai and back towards the crowd. I can see Belly, Laurel, and Susanna dancing and as I go to sing I see the door open and Steve, Conrad, and Jeremiah walk in. My heart leaps in my chest, but I continue singing.

All I know
Is this could either break my heart
Or bring it back to life

Got a feelin' your electric touch
Could fill this ghost town up with life

And I want you now,
Wanna need you forever

In the heat of your electric touch

As mine and Kai's main part together comes up, I go to sing as he walks towards me, still playing. 

Deli (Kai)

I was thinking just one time 

The air leaves my body as he shares my mic for this next part, staring deep into my eyes. 

(just one time)

Maybe the stars align (just one time)
And maybe I call you mine
And you won't need space
Or string me along while you decide

And just one time (just one time)
Maybe the moment's right (the moment's right)
It's 8:05, and I see two headlights

Kai chimes in on the end of 'headlights', harmonizing perfectly with me. Once the note is over, he finally walks back to his mic. Glancing over to Cami, she grins knowingly at me before everyone starts the final chorus. 

Everyone (Kai)

All I know
Is this could either break my heart
Or bring me back to life

Got a feelin' your electric touch (ooh)

All I know
Is this could either break my heart
Or bring it back to life

Got a feelin' your electric touch
Could fill this ghost town up with life (life)

And I want you now
Wanna need your forever

In the heat of your electric touch

Deli

Mm, mm, mm-mm

As the song comes to an end, the crowd erupts into cheers and my eyes find my friends and family in the back. Susanna is jumping up and down cheering, doing her best to pull Laurel with her. Belly and Steven are on their feet as well, cheering loudly. 

Even Conrad is smiling and clapping. Then there's Jeremiah. He's glaring at Kai who I didn't even know was walking over to me until he pulls my attention by hugging me tightly. He set his guitar down so it wasn't awkward. 

Instantly my thoughts were pulled directly to him and away from Jeremiah. "You were incredible Deli." He beams down at me. I just grin back as Cami comes up to my other side, sliding her arm around my shoulders. "Just you wait Montgomery. This was just the start. I just know it."