Chapter 12: You're No One's Side Character

Deli's POV:

I spend the entire day at the club practicing for tonight. The song Kai and I wrote it perfect. I remember blushing the entire time while writing it. It's about the anticipation of going on a first date with someone and having a history of bad relationships or ones that didn't work out. 

We're hoping this one will be different, but we don't know for sure. After it was written, it only took about two hours for the others to come up with an amazing track to play behind us tonight. After several hours of rehearsing, we decide to wrap to go home and get ready for the gig at 8.

Camille insisted that she comes with me to pick out an outfit, which I begrudgingly agree to. I hate being someone else's barbie doll, but I've never played a gig before. I don't know what to wear. Since she's going to my house anyway she offered to drive me home, but Kai intervened.

He told her to go grab a few things from her house and he would take me home. Camille just smirked and agreed before getting into her car and taking off. "What was that about? I know taking me home is out of your way." I tell him as I climb into his car for the second time that day.

He grins at me. "Can you blame me for wanting to spend a little extra time with you? I mean, I had to share you all day and Camille is the worst person to share with. They're all pretty bad, but her specifically, horrible." I laugh at this.

"My apologies. Next time, I'll make sure to emphasize that you don't share." I tease. "Good. Wouldn't want to have any conflict this early in the summer." He jokes back. After that we slip into comfortable silence. I stare at the scenery as we pass it, thinking.

Today has just felt so natural. Nothing felt forced and I never once felt overwhelmed by all the new people who actually want to get to know me. Then I turn my thoughts to Jeremiah. What was his problem earlier?

I mean, the look on his face clearly told me something was bothering him. It also told me it had to do with me playing with the others. Why would he care? It's not like we play together. The most he's involved in my playing is when he comes to my room and has me play my new songs.

That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less. He doesn't even stick around for our yearly start of summer 'concert' that I put on, on the first night. "Penny for your thoughts." Kai calls over to me, snapping me out of my own head. I smile softly over at him. "It's nothing. Don't worry about it."

He grins. "Ok, I won't worry about it, but what were you thinking? Something had you deep in thought over there." I shrug. "I don't know. It's just, today, playing with you guys, writing with you, and just being around everyone...it felt so natural." "How so?"

"I don't know, it's just that I guess I'm not used to having so many new people actually wanting to get to know me. That's always been Belly's thing. I've always been her side character and I'm fine with that. But today was different. Good different." As I say this he pulls up to the house.

He puts the car and park and turns to me before saying anything. "You're no one's side character Deli." I blush at how close he is to me. I can feel his breath fan across my cheeks as he speaks. There's a tense silence between us.

I've only known this guy a day, but in that time he's made me feel seen like I never have before. I've only ever felt the fluttering in my chest for Jeremiah, but now, with Kai, I feel it. I definitely feel it. Slowly the two of us start to lean into each other. 

I start to close my eyes and right before our lips touch a car horn sounds behind us. We jump apart and turn to see Jeremiah and Steven and Camille both pulling up at the same time. Red floods my cheeks. I had almost kissed Kai. He clears his throat. 

"I'll, uh, see you tonight Dels. We're gonna kill it." I smile at this, the awkwardness I expected after what just happened never appearing. "Hell yeah we are. I'll see you tonight. Thanks for the ride." I tell him, opening my door and climbing out as Camille approaches us. 

Steven is already in the house while Jeremiah is waiting on the porch, arms crossed and a firm look on his face. I try to ignore him as I see Kai pull away from the house and drive off. "I totally saw you two almost kiss. That was fast." She grins at me, linking her arm through mine. I blush.

"I don't know. Everything with him just feels so natural. Do you think it's moving too fast?" I ask. "Oh honey, with the right person, there is no such thing as too fast." She tells me. She glances up at the porch we're approaching which still holds an upset looking Jeremiah. 

Then, in a voice he can definitely hear she finishes her thought. "But there is such thing as too slow." With that the two of us walk past him into the house, completely ignoring him. He interrupted my first kiss. Why? Soon we're in the house and my stomach growls. 

I haven't eaten since this morning. "Want anything to eat?" "Got anything good?" She asks with a grin as I lead her to the kitchen. "Well, not to brag, but I happen to be a very good cook." I say, opening up the fridge to reveal the pasta dough I made this morning. 

"Spaghetti? Shouldn't take too long." She grins. "Marry me, please." I laugh at this and wink at her. "Oh darling, I would love too, but my heart belongs to another." She lets out a dramatic gasp before pretending to faint into my shoulder. "Why my love? Why?" She take sobs. 

I laugh loudly at there antics before taking the dough out and prepping everything. It doesn't take me too long to cook everything and soon we have our plates full of pasta in hand. "This looks amazing." She grins. I smile. 

"Why thank you. Now, come on. We can eat and get ready upstairs." She nods and follows me up towards my bedroom.