Hyunjin - Dog Park

"Brownie, sit!"

The golden retriever in front of you tilted her head, before proceeding to chase her tail in a maddening circle. A groan escaped your lips as you fell backwards on the picnic blanket, quickly followed by a yelp upon making contact with the ground.

Brownie immediately halted her chase to stick her head in your face and give it a massive lick. She wouldn't stop until you erupted in laughter and enveloped her in a wrestling hug. "Alright, alright, I'm sorry for everything I'm making you do lately," you apologised, sitting upright.

Admittedly, you'd been taking her to the dog park a lot more often than usual and there's a very simple explanation behind that. A very tall and handsome explanation who owned a certain black and white chihuahua that formed an unexpected friendship with Brownie.

You didn't know his name, his age, or where he lived but all you knew was that you liked the glimpses you caught of his figure in the corner of your eye. The way his every movement was lined with grace and how the breeze would tussle with his silken hair was more often than not more mesmerising than watching your dog.

Of course, none of this mattered to Brownie; she was still getting her playtime.

"Brownie, paw?" you tried again with an open hand, to which she obediently responded with a big plopping pad. You rewarded her with an excited "Good girl!" and a handful of treats.

All this time you left her to play with his dog, you spent away your idle time furtively glancing at his owner, abandoning all previous commitments on doing anything productive. On most days he'd be sketching away in a notepad, or fixated on a novel while his chihuahua yapped and scurried after and brawled with Brownie.

Meanwhile, you were on a pursuit of your own. Thinking you didn't exactly have anything to lose, you gradually trained Brownie to receive and deliver little presents from one place to another. It would just be a small item sometimes tied to her collar or carried in her mouth for her to drop in front of him.

The first couple of weeks had been a... work in progress - to say the least. But the past few days you discreetly watched her, over a pair of sunglasses (for safe measure), successfully drop the frilly bow or tiny teddy bear or box of strawberries by his lap. And every time, you'd had to somehow hide away by observing behind a tree or evidently absorbing yourself in an arresting book.

Today, however, you were going to have Brownie deliver something a little more considerate. Something you'd consumed your free time perfecting, not merely in the item itself but also in the packaging.

Maybe today would be the day you finally bundled up the courage to say a few words to him.

You didn't realize your face had heated up so much being lost in thought until Brownie came back to smother it in kisses. "Ah! Stop it! It's just the sun I swear," you justified to no one in particular. And just to accentuate that point, you reached for the folded fan by your lap.

When raised your head again, you found yourself locking eyes with the exact person you'd been waiting for all morning. You quickly turned away, seized by a sudden coughing fit in the hopes that it would mask the redness in your cheeks before it reached your ears.

The handsome stranger took his usual spot on a park bench engulfed by the shade of a massive tree. While you pretended to smooth down the picnic blanket, you caught sight of him releasing his dog off the leash. The chihuahua did a round of manic circling before making a mad dash towards Brownie, who you had already let off to her due playtime before performing her perfected role of a delivery dog.

She and the little oreo on legs played cat and mouse around the entire perimeter of the park, tussling and taking turns chasing each other.

The time to act arrived when the figure under the tree took out what appeared to be a set of paints and a handheld canvas. While you could be sure his gaze was elsewhere, you whistled for Brownie to come back and held up the neatly tied bundle for her to pick up by the jaw. She responded with an enthusiastic bark and gave your hand a quick lick as if to say "Good luck" before marching off.