3.01 ᴛʜᴇ ʙɪʀᴛʜᴅᴀʏ

ᴛʜᴇ ʙɪʀᴛʜᴅᴀʏ

"WHEN DO YOU THINK I'LL STOP FEELING LIKE A STRANGER IN MY OWN LIFE?" Clara asked her grandfather as she watched him get ready for work.

"You've only been home for a couple of months after spending years away, it'll take some time but soon, I promise," Tobias Fell smiled softly before pressing a kiss to her head, "now have fun at the party tonight."

Clara nodded, giving him a smile as he walked out the door. The moment she heard the door slam shut, she spun around in her chair heading over to the cabinets where he stores his alcohol. If she had still been at boarding school with her two roommates, they would've started pre gaming now, but this was only meant to serve as a gesture of good will for the kids her grandfather believes to be her friends.

As she grabs the bottles she feels a cat rub against her side. Clara turns her head to greet Luna, giving the black cat a soft smile as she pets her head. The black cat had once belonged to LJ but after her death as neither Tyler or Ms. Lockwood was apt to take care of Luna, she had been given to Clara. The redhead was much more of a dog person but did have a soft spot for cats. As a welcome home gift her grandfather decided to get her a dog, given that he loved his Yellow Labradoodle.

Luna begins to meow as Clara stops petting her head which summons the two dogs. Clara quickly turns her attention to both dogs before going to take out some of the spare tennis balls to entertain them while she was gone. The Labradoodle was called Benny, and Clara's dog, a Cairn Terrier, was named Charlie.

"Come on children!" Clara calls out as she tosses the tennis balls across the living room. She then returns back to the kitchen and grabs her go to black tote bag and carefully places the bottles inside with pieces of cloth surrounding each one to eliminate noise. When she was satisfied with her work, she pulled on a pair of white converse and headed out to her car. The one thing she enjoyed about having her boarding school, Marigold Academy, up north in Maine was the weather. Being back in Virginia made her crave the cool summers she used to experience at a house on the coast or an island. The heat had been driving her crazy since May and she knew there was still at least a month left with it, further perishing her good mood.

One of her neighbors waved at Clara as she opened the door to her jeep and she put on a cheerful smile to wave back. So far for the most part her reputation has remained intact. Despite the frequent hesitations or pauses between responses from Clara, no one had realized just how much of a party girl Clara had become. Her grandfather would have been delighted if he had even a clue as to who she had become but that secret was kept from even him. She closed the door behind her, tossing her bag into the passenger seat before lowering the windows and turning on the car. Clara quickly connected her music turning the country song up before she began to reverse out of the driveway.