Chapter 1: The Clouds are Angry

Heart of Stone

Chapter 1

The Clouds are Angry

Bai He was supposed to be back at the orphanage an hour ago. As if it matters anyways, the headmistress was a jerk and demanded they leave the building at a quarter to 10 each morning and come back at 4 in the afternoon so she can pretend she has a life outside of the walls. So each one went to the park or library. She had chosen to go to the library because it was movie day and the movie ended at exactly a quarter to 3 which gave her enough time to get back to the building.

Maybe she should run. Standing in front of the store front door was starting to bother the owner and this owner looked like he was about to yell at her. Oh but the air was so cold and it felt like this rain was going to turn to snow any second. Bai He sighed and shook her head. She hated this so much.

In an effort to not get on the headmistress' nerves she began to run toward the orphanage. It wasn't far. Just eight blocks. She would be just fine. As long as she ran she wouldn't get too wet right?

Wrong...no one told her that the faster she went the more rain she ran into. She got far more soaked then she would have if she were walking. Moreover, doing so made it so much harder to see.

The only clue she had was the truck horn that blared in her ears as she tried to run across the street. It was her turn after all...this jerk must have just ran the red light...and right toward her.

Bai He gasped and curled in, and fell through the asphalt.

She gasped as she flopped around and realized she wasn't hurt, and the truck was gone. Moreover the rain had stopped. She looked up into the golden eyes of Macaque.

"Kid, we have got to stop meeting like this."

Bai He sighed as she lay back in his arms and tried her best to still her beating heart. It felt like it was beating a tune into her rib cage. She felt like it was going to shatter from the force.

Finally after a few moments she felt Macaque put her down on something soft. She looked around to see a mound of blankets, and clothes. Was this his place? She looked around at the building. It looked like the top floor of a building. Sandstone, and glass all around. The room itself was very small, the only other thing was a cabinet with a plug in skillet.

"Where are we?" She asked. Macaque turned to look at her and shrugged.

"Safe. I moved from the old gym up the way after I trained MK. He'd find me again if I stayed." He heard a soft whistle and he picked up the teapot from the skillet and poured the contents into the cups. He handed her one with a small tea bag in it.

"Oh thanks..." It helped her fingers warm up so easily. She then realized that her body was numb from the cold.

"Alright kiddo, after you're finished there I gotta take you home. I'm sure your parents are worried about you." He said as he sipped his own tea.

"Parents...I don't have any. I live at an orphanage." She told him. Macaque looked over his cup watching her drink the lemon tea.

"Oh uh...sorry. I don't have parents either." He told her. "Or any family actually. Wukong would be the closest and well, he's not too happy with me right now. Seeing as I'm not a good guy." He shrugged finishing off his cup of tea and put it into a small soaking bucket near the window gathering rain water.

"Yeah I'm not a good person either. I just aided the most powerful villain I ever saw. I couldn't...stop her." She put down the cup and sighed.

Macaque chuckled.

"You're like what? 6 , maybe 7 years old?" She looked up and puffed out her cheeks.

"7 and a half!" Macaque laughed and shook his head.

"Yeah okay 7 and a half...even Sun Wukong couldn't stop her. What makes you think you can do any better? Don't worry about it." He patted her head and ruffled her hair.

She nodded and sighed, picking back up the tea cup and drank the rest.

"Alright kiddo. Let's get you back."

(0)

They left him behind...deep under the temple. No one remembered him, and they probably don't care either. So the Mayor did the first thing that came to his mind. He broke free, climbed the many stairs to the top and found a ride back to the city.

His goal?

Tie up loose ends. Which meant destroying the hideout, and obtaining the scroll. It knew how to get to the gates of hell. Wukong had it. He'll need it to free his mistress and he was sure the previous host had residual spirit energy from her. The girl could be his compass to finding his mistress in hell.

She'd probably still be at that orphanage. Which was why he sat in the park across the street 'reading' a newspaper. His fingers held a coffee and a doughnut sat on his knee. He just had to be patient...