Chapter 7: Snow

Heart of Stone

Chapter 7

Snow

On Wukongs side of the island it was incredibly warm, and tropical. On the dark side of the mountain however it was cold, rainy, windy...and today apparently snowy. That wasn't too bad seeing as most of Bai He's nothing was warm because they had just left the city where it was snowing.

Since the ground was so cold, Macaque couldn't finish putting up the fence or even building the garden. Which meant he could spend more time with Bai He, with fixing various things around the house. Technically the girl just handed tools to him.

Currently they are fixing the sink in the bathroom. It has been leaking a lot lately. So that meant they had to brush their teeth in the kitchen sink rather than the bathroom one till they fixed the sink.

"Alright kid...hold this one." He held out the wrench and picked up the tape from her outstretched fingers. He wound the white tape around the pipe and held out his hands for the wrench.

"Wrench." He said, but rather then a wrench in his fingers there was nothing there. He leaned over and called out again. "Wrench." Maybe she didn't hear him. He slowly climbed out of the crawl space under the sink.

"Kid..." He looked at her as she looked out the window. In the tree sat two birds. One red, the other an auburn color. "Nice colors..." He nodded, picking up the wrench.

"Are they mates?" She asked. Macaque nodded as he screwed the pipe back on tightly. Smoothing glue around the edges.

"Yup." He answered. Climbing out from under the sink wiping his hands off on a towel before putting a bucket under the pipe and turning on the water. "Tell me if you hear anything dripping down there." He watched as she scooted closer looking under the sink.

"I don't see anything." She looked into the bucket, and then looked up at him. "Wow you know how to do this sort of stuff." She said looking up at him as he turned off the water.

"Be around for as long as I have and you learn a lot. Especially when you have a leaky pipe." He said as he began to clean up the tools and picked up the bucket. "Alright kiddo. How about you go do something child-like while I make lunch huh?"

Childlike? What does a child do around there? She wondered as she went onto the back area, the garden was covered in a thick layer of snow.

Perhaps a walk?

Yes, a walk would be great. She slowly stood up and walked into the woods. She didn't know this area too well, perhaps there was a place where she could sled?

Pulling on her boots, and thick clothing she walked down the steps and into the snow. It was thicker than she thought and walking in it was a little harder than she thought it was. Being in the city it wasn't so hard because most of the streets were shoveled or plowed.

If there was one thing she loved about being in the woods while it was snowing was the soft sounds the snow made. The crunch as you stepped in it, how soft it felt as she padded through it, but even more so was the soda pop, fizzy sound it made as she stood there under a tree listening to it.

She strolled alongside the stream. She looked around at the bears that dove in and snatched up the fish that jumped around the rapids.

She decided that perhaps it would be best if she left them to it and not be seen.

She pushed through the pine trees into a glade of snow. It looked incredibly calm and pretty. Only if there was a hill to be had so she could go sledding. Perhaps a little more. She walked out spotting a few deer within the trees pawing at the sides of trees, eating the bark along its edges. She heard a soft crack and a limb came down full of snow. It must have gotten heavy.

"Bai He!" She turned around. She spotted Macaque as he ran toward the glade. Perhaps he'd build a snowman with her? Snow monkey perhaps?

"Run!" He yelled. This caught her attention. She looked around again, she didn't hear anything out of the ordinary and there wasn't anything within the glade like a bear or tiger. What could have caused his fear?

She heard the crack again...she looked down. This wasn't ground under her, it was ice, and it was cracking.