The Arrival

APARNA

"Is this okay or should we tilt it a bit to the left?" there was a question mark written over his face.

"Tushaar... Tushar.. calm down" I rather snapped at him to grab his attention.

"Everything is in place, you have nothing to worry"

"Really?" he arched a brow.

"Arey Yes, look at you all sweaty and worked up. Is this how you are going to welcome her after all these years?"

As I asked there was a sly smile that stretched on his lips. However his nervousness was easily readable, if I step a bit closer to him, I am soo sure I can rather hear his pounding heartbeat.

How do you think I look?" he asked pulling down his t-shirt.

"I am cent percent sure, she'd rather not care about that" I spoke as a matter of fact.

"But I do, it matters to me whether I am looking okay or not" he looked exactly like a giddy teenager, who is nervous on his first date.

"Tushar, first you need to stop working up, and believe me you look the smartest I ever know" I was genuine.

"Thanks" he had this stupid smile written all over his rather stern face.

He kept strolling in the same living room until the doorbell rang.

He stood erect in the place without moving an inch, and there were sweat beads dropping down his chin, his face looked devoid of expression. For a second I felt extremely scared looking at him not having any moment.

It took a hard knock on the door for him to regain back his senses.

"Ap... Ap..." he struggled to mutter a word.

"Yes??"

He just gestured at me to open the door, I nodded walking rather quickly to open the door.

And there was she standing with a sweet smile, she looked immensely pretty than she is in the pictures. No surprise Tushar lost his heart for her.

I was concentrating on her eyes as she walked inside, her steps slowed down as she made her way to Tushar and there were tears in her eyes mirroring that of Tushar's.

Both were rooted to their place, it felt too awkward for me to be present there.

She broke into a sob and was about to crumble down to the floor and Tushar was quick to grab her arms and pull her into his embrace. What followed is tears of love and longing from the eyes of estranged lovers.

Tushar peppered small yet deep kisses all over her face while she held him soo tight. They stayed like that for how long I don't know, but I felt my legs started aching.

"How have you been?" she asked between sobs.

"Dead" his monosyllable reply got tears to my eyes.

"What about you?" he repeated the question caressing her cheeks.

"The same. Alive only after seeing you" she couldn't breathe and kept choking.

I rushed to fetch water and cleared my throat to grab either's attention.

Finally when they moved away from one another's embrace, they looked at me and I felt like a total intruder in their privacy.

I passed the glass of water towards her, Tushar grabbed it from my hand and helped her drink that.

"Do you know what happened Mumma..." Tulika sprang from her room and stopped in her tracks witnessing a new person in the room.

"Tulika, come here beta. Meet Ruchika Aunty, Papa's best friend from the college" that was the most sensible way I could introduce my husband's girlfriend to my 4-year-old daughter.

Ruchika was on her knees requesting Tulika to come near her, whereas Tulika hid herself hugging my legs tight.

"Aunty has got you many toys Tulika, go to her" I had to lure Tulika and finally after looking at a toy, Tulika went to Ruchika who bawled her heart out as she caressed Tulika.

Tushar looked at both of them with the whole love that ever existed in the world, the kind of look I was alien to.

Rather than third wheeling their moment, I put on the geyser filling the bucket.

"Aparna" I was startled hearing Ruchika's voice and dropped the towel in my hand.

"I can understand how hard it would be for you to see another woman roaming in your home, I feel extremely guilty..." she squeezed my hand, the trace of tears along with guilt dancing in her eyes.

"Don't be. After all, this place was never home to me"