The Third Wheel

APARNA

"Ohh my God... you still have it in you" she moaned.

I saw Tushar blushing at that.

"I must say Aparna, you are soo lucky to get to eat this delicious food. I can write a whole book just about his cooking" Ruchika sounded ecstatic eating the fish.

"She doesn't know that I can cook" Tushar whispered slowly.

"What?" Ruchika left whatever she is eating and looked baffled.

"I learned it only for you and it went away with you"

There was absolute silence after that, I internally cursed myself for staying with them. I was thankful that Tulika was fast asleep, she was tired after having a fun outing with her Dad and his lover.

"I will check the oven.." excusing myself I ran inside the kitchen.

I couldn't understand the commotion within me. I didn't even feel a thing when Tulika explained about the amount of fun she had with Ruchika and called me boring, I was even surprised seeing Tushar don the apron and cook like he has been trained. I was okay with everything, but there's this super awkwardness.

"Let me lend a hand" I jumped hearing Ruchika's voice.

Paying no heed, she pushed me away and took the washing liquid from my hands, and started doing the dishes.

I was extremely tensed looking at her do all those Tushar had said to me a million times about the influential background she hails from and the numerous servants working under her.

"You shouldn't be doing all this"

"Why?"

"Because you are a...." umm not guest, she is definitely not a guest. If there's any guest, it is me.

"Come on Aparna, don't get soo worked up, this is nothing before the love you are showering on me" she smiled.

"Thank you for sending Tulika with us" she looked at me with gratitude.

"Hope she hasn't troubled you much" I muttered.

"Ohh not a chance, such a doll she is. The way she speaks, the way she giggles, and her sharp features, that's totally Tushar na? Especially her nose, the sharpness right from him" she giggled.

I just nodded trying to cover my awkwardness. How come I have never found any of that in these four years?

Tushar slept in the other room, while Ruchika slept with me in his room, with Tulika in middle. She held her dearly in sleep and I closely looked at Tulika's face, keenly observing her.

I walked out, grabbed the photo frame from the wall, it's Tulika's first birthday and Tushar was smiling holding her and I looked closely to find whatever Ruchika said was true.

At last, I understood that I never found the similarities because I never got the chance to closely look at him.

Ruchika is really a charmer and I got to know it within these four days, she has this attractive vibe that pulls anyone to her. Tulika had an undeniable liking towards her and so did I.

We played rounds of cards, she taught me how to play them and I won over Tushar, she pushed me to find my passion.

As days kept counting and she has to leave within two days I could clearly sense the air changing. Tushar looked desperate to not let her go.

I saw real happiness in both their eyes all these eight days and as her departure date neared, both looked vulnerable.

It became too hard for me to pull any excuse as Ruchika forced me to join them, I didn't want to be the third wheel in the few days I have. Hence I reasoned out over my periods and escaped.

Three of them returned soaked wet, I rushed throwing towels at them, and jumped to dry Tulika.

I suddenly felt a hand grab me. I looked at Tushar surprised. He looked different... very different.

"You know what?" he sounded different too.

"What happened to you Tushar?"

"Thank you... Thanks to you, Thaank you" he repeated.

"Why are you thanking me?"

"My Ruchi said that you are the reason that we are happy again, she said you are great and yes you are very good. Thank you for being good, though I am bad"

He was about to fall, I couldn't hold him in place and Ruchika who has just stepped out of the bathroom rushed to catch him.

He immediately circled his arms around her, as if he is protecting her from everyone.

"He had a bit more than we intended to and blabbering things" Ruchika explained.

"He drinks too?" I never saw him drinking.

"Yeah occasionally, when he is very happy or so" she smiled.

"Tushar, leave me... you need to sleep" she tried to release herself, but his grip has only tightened.

She struggled to get out of his grip as he fell back on the bed along with her.

"Don't leave me Ruchi... it's been years since I slept peacefully, don't abandon me" he requested hugging her.

Ruchika looked awkward

"I need to put Tulika to sleep. Moreover, he needs you or both of you need one another, good night" I closed the door without waiting to hear her.

"We played in the water balloon Mumma, Ruchika Aunty, and I won gifts too"

"Very good, I will have a look at them tomorrow. But right now you need to sleep" I patted her to sleep.

She stirred in her sleep when I heard the calling bell sing, I wondered who would be at this hour. For a second, my heart came into my mouth thinking it would be someone of Ruchika's relatives who found out about her and came to harm us.

My urge to protect them grew with each passing second and I locked their room from the outside and did the same with my room, where Tulika is asleep.

My heartbeat went berserk as the doorbell kept ringing.