The Breakdown

APARNA

 "You???" I was surprised to the hell, opening the main door

"What are you doing here, at this hour"

"I came to speak with you, can I come in?" he requested.

"Yeah..." I mean I was surprised. This is nothing less than a shock.

He looked disturbed and refused to drink the water I gave.

"Sit" he drew my chair closer to his.

"You are seriously scaring me now, what happened? Did something happen to Nanna?" I asked looking at my tensed brother.

"No... it's not about him"

"Then?" I asked, wondering what would be the important thing that got him here at this hour.

"Appu... Tushar is having an affair" he said looking down.

Wha... How... my world broke into pieces, I felt dizzy.

"How do you say that?" I asked gulping hard.

"Had someone else said that I wouldn't have believed it, but today I saw him with another woman, and Appu he was totally different with her. He never smiles while talking to us right, but he was giggling with her and I even saw Tulika gelling with that woman. Bavagaru(brother-in-law) is cheating on you Appu"

The word cheating sounded like I was being backstabbed, somehow I ended up crying.

"Appu control yourself Ma, we will find out whoever that lady is and will warn her to stay away" he sounded serious.

"But it's Tushar who done that right? What will we do about him? Your sister has been cheated on, I can't stay with that person anymore. I will file a divorce"

"Appu, don't make stupid decisions in hurry. Who will look after you after Divorce and don't forget about Tulika, what about her future?"

"I am a working woman and I do have savings, all I need is a bit of support from you people. I can no longer stay with him"

"You have gone mad or what Aparna? Do you think it is that easy to raise children? That too a girl? It is impossible. Did you fight with him or kept him away? Why did he choose to have an affair when he has a kid and wife at home?" he raised his voice.

"Woww... just woww" I clapped for a few minutes.

My bother looked at me as if I have turned mad.

"You caught your sister's husband with another woman and all you had to come up is with warning that woman, and not a word to Tushar, because apparently he choose to have an affair only because I would have done something. I am ashamed of having a brother like you" I spat at him.

"Don't you dare insult me Aparna, I have come here to open your eyes about your husband's cheating not to hear your taunts" he screamed back.

"Open my eyes my foot. He is not having any affair in the first place okay? He loves someone dearly and has only loved her madly, truly, and passionately. His love is not like that of yours, which went into the pond seeing a girl offering more dowry. He is committed to that woman with his soul. He never lay a finger on me and even got me pregnant only due to the shitty taunts from you people. He never loved me, but he never cheated me. Whereas my family who always professed love, never stood by me. We both are victims of the society that refuses to let people live as they wish"

I was raging in anger, he looked at me in shock.

"From when do you know this?"

"The day he came to see me. Had you come to my home saying don't worry Appu we are here for you, that word would have been enough, but... cha" I looked away.

"Appu, you can't...."

"Enough... thank you for your concern. I can deal with my life, please go and if at all you have an ounce of love for me please let this stay between us" I joined my hands.

He walked away slowly, I wiped my tears locking the house. My eyes fell on the door locks and unlocking Tushar's door I saw Ruchika behind it.

"That was just..." I tried to cover up.

"I heard every word" she stated.

I quickly tried to wipe away my tears. She had tears in her eyes.

"You are already caged, a least let them be free Aparna" she looked at me and I broke down.

I just couldn't control any longer and she hugged me giving much needed support.

She moved to the living room, far from Tushar while I kept crying on her shoulder.

"Aparna.... I won't say I can understand your pain, but I surely can understand pain" she stated rubbing my back.

"I am tired you know.... Tired of leading this life, tired of living like nothing matters to me, tired of just doing things while keeping other concerns in mind... I am extremely tired of holding everything back" I cried my heart out as she held my hands.

"You know Ruchika, I have even tried to break free and walk away. I have tried hard, but soon I realized how unsafe this world is and I returned back with a dead heart. I don't have any complaints with Tushar, I never had with anyone. I even looked forward to meet you"

"I know Aparna, Tushar told me everything about you. I know how worse it is to live with an unloving husband, but Tushar madly respects you" she stated.

"Yes he never comes in my way, you know Ruchika we both are alike in one way, both of us don't have what we want. Someone who understands us, someone with whom we can share things. While the difference is you at least know who is that someone and I have none" my tears had no barriers.

"Aparna, I too have no friends, yes I have Tushar but you know girl friendships have this different charm. We both have lost soo much for this world, for these men but not anymore. We will be there with one another, share whatever we feel, even if we are angry at one another we will just yell, but we won't stop talking and sharing things... what say?" she asked.

"I am a boring person, even Tulika doesn't like spending time with me"

"That's because that doll has not yet realized how awesome her Mummy is, but I did realize and I don't wish on losing this sweet person, will you be my friend?" she asked looking utmost cute at the moment.

"Now I have realized the truth behind Tushar's words" I smiled.

"What words?" she asked.

"He said that once I get to know you, I will realize how unlucky he is to miss out on you"

"Haha that idiot is too smitten" she laughed.

"Idiot?" I closed my mouth.

"He might be a dignified husband for you, but I just know an impulsive idiot and I am going to tell you all those secrets, avenge him for the 13-year torture" she sounded evilishly crazy.

"Your husband is really unlucky to not see the person you are" I confessed.

"So is yours" she winked, and we walked to my room. Spreading the bed sheet on the floor we laid back talking all the stories of life.

She forced me to open up, heard about the boring life I lead, she gave me a haircut out of nowhere at the midnight and prepared a mask out of available things for my face, the way she described me made me believe that my fat has nothing to do with my beauty.

Somehow the person I thought I would end up hating, turned out to be a friend I never had, but always wanted.