=+)48(+=

The Pip-Boy in the Fallout universe doesn't make sense.

Unless its wearer can program it and mark things on the map, and give specific items names themselves, then it doesn't make sense how a pre-war gadget can understand when you get to somewhere called Diamond City or Little Lamplight.

And even if it's a newer Pip-Boy that the Vault Dweller was given, then, unless it's a vault where residents go in and out and say what places are where so that newer Pip-Boys can be modified with those locations, it wouldn't make sense for the Pip-Boy to instantly know what Raider armor or Deathclaw meat is.

And even if your character is putting the info in themselves (like how the Quests tab seems like a journal), how would they/you instantly know what something or someplace is?

Diamond City kinda makes sense in that regard because of all the signs, as well as some other locations since in F4, your character was at these places long ago.
But things like a ghoul (Your character can literally ask "What's a ghoul?) or Mirelurk already being named does not make sense even then, both for F4 and the other games where the world is new to you.

But it would be too much work to have your character be stuck with nameless places, consumables, and enemies until they happen to hear it for someone else.