Chapter 5

.

.

.

Surprisingly, Miles found Nina sitting with Colton and Christie at one of the lunch tables. As usual, they were sitting at the back of the room, particularly because those were the only tables available. They had one of those teachers that let them out later because they were trying to say something that could have been said through an email. In the end, he ended up being the last one to the cafeteria because his locker was a little further than the others.

With his feet automatically making his way towards their table, he didn't see himself bumping into another person—pretty hard too.

"Sorry," he immediately apologised. When he looked up to the student, he instead found Mr Hayes standing before him. "Mr Hayes."

"Oh. . . Miles," the teacher said in surprise. "Sorry, didn't see you there."

"Uh, no problem. It was also my fault anyway," he sheepishly replied.

"I guess we're both rushing to eat, aren't we?" he chuckled.

"Yeah, I'm starving," Miles said with a light smile.

"Then, have a good lunch. I'll see you in homeroom," Mr Hayes said, stepping away in a rush.

Miles looked back as he watched Hayes walk away. If he wasn't wearing a suit, he could have passed as another student since he was relatively young for a teacher. He wasn't one of those teachers who, even though they taught P.E., looked like they hadn't ran in decades.

"Hey, Miles! Get over here," Colton shouted.

Miles whipped his gaze back toward the table and found the others waiting for him expectantly. He quickly walked over and sat down with them. For a split second, he eyed Nina who was staring at him with a blank look.

"That English teacher is menace. She's way too old for this shit," Colton started.

"I had her last year and she took months to mark our essays," Christie mumbled.

"Slow talker and slow marker, go figure," Colton snorted.

Listening in while he got his lunch out, Miles suddenly remembered something his mom gave to him this morning. In the content of his bag, he rustled around until he grabbed something heavy and plopped it down in front of Christie.

"What's this?" Christie asked, eyes looking at it curiously.

"Your favourite drink," Miles stated nonchalantly.

Christie widened her eyes and looked at the package. "How'd you know this was my favourite?"

"I heard this was one of your favourites from Colton," he said, eyeing the guy next to her.

Christie didn't notice it and looked a little bashful. "You got this for me?"

He zipped back up back. "Actually, my mom bought this in bulk, but I know we aren't gonna finish it."

Christie quietly shifted the drinks closer to her. Strawberry milk. "Thanks," she said with a small smile.

Miles smiled before looking over at Nina. "What's your favourite drink?"

Nina looked a little surprised to be asked a question. "Mine?"

"Yeah. Any favourite brands or flavours? My mom might buy another round of drinks again," he tried to explain as casually as possible.

"Mines Monster," Colton interjected.

"I know that already," Miles bluntly replied.

"Maybe Pepsi," she mumbled under her breath.