Chapter 19

.

.

.

That morning, he woke up to a text from Christie.

'Hey, I found out the name of the orphanage'

The moment he read those words, he jolted up out of bed, not even taking into account that he was woken up by an early text. Knowing his sleep schedule, it was rare for him to get up out of bed until late in the afternoon if someone didn't force him. But now, he was jumping out like he had won the lottery. He ran to change, got his shoes and took the car keys from his parents.

When he ran towards the front doors, his parents, who had been in the kitchen since earlier, looked on with question on their faces. Their son had never woken up this early for no reason.

On way out the door, his mom called out from the kitchen. "Are you going out?"

"Yeah!" he yelled back.

"There's no school today, remember?" she said.

"I know," he shouted back. He fumbled while putting his shoes on.

"So, you woke up early by yourself?" she said in skepticism.

"I got an important email about school," he said quickly.

"That important that they need you to go back on a weekend?" she said puzzled.

Sharp as ever, he thought. "Yeah, I need to take the car."

His mom walked to the door with her arms crossed. "Is this really for school?"

Miles gulped while tapping his heel down. "Yeah."

It wasn't a completely lie. It technically was for school. Nina counted as a school ghost, right?

Her mom hummed with pursed lips. After a few seconds, she sighed and waved him off. 

"Be home before dinner," she said tiredly before turning back around to the kitchen.

Miles hummed in recognition before bolting out the door. When he got into the car, he looked at the name Christie had sent him.

Foxwoods Home for Youths.

When he searched the name up, he found the website leading to a cosy looking ranch near the edge of the town. Luckily for him, it was open today.

In an instant, he quickly put the name into Google Maps and set the directions for it. It was only a 30 minute drive.

"Easy," he said, starting the engine up.

Not long after, he arrived at the place, with almost a minute earlier than the map expected. Be it because of his excitement or luck of the traffic lights, it didn't really make a difference if he was there earlier or not because he arrived when they had opened. Not to say he sped here; he just passed through all the yellow lights and took the fast lane.

It was a bit of a path to the actual house. Since it was a little ways out from the city centre, the land was a lot larger. The driveway up was made of a long dirt path, but the natural area surrounding it seemed pretty well-maintained for the size of it.

As soon as he put his car in park, he went out and held up his phone to the ranch in front of him to compare the photos. The front page of the website had a colourful site of a red ranch with a front porch that looked almost brand new. 

Glancing between the phone and the real life ranch, he found the place to be a little less colourful than he imagined. The bright red turned into a dull maroon and the wooden posts of the porch were starting to peel away to reveal the underside of wood, but all in all, it seemed like a well maintained place.

Traces of Youजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें