Part 32

Last night felt like a dream. Not only was it the final night of the cafe's month-long holiday dessert showcase, which saw an increase in sales due to the effective social media presence and influencers writing and posting about it, but it was also the first time in a long time that Jungkook had felt you.

Arms and fingers and knees brushing was always normal between both of you. You hold each other's gaze a lot, catch each other smiling and smirking when you think the other one isn't looking. And of course, there was that kiss from over two years ago that soothed and broke his heart at the same time.

Jungkook still thinks about that day and how amazing you felt against him, close to him, as if you fit perfectly right next to him. He knows it'll take time to have that moment again, but anything he can get from you, he'd gladly take it.

Even if they're your warm hands cradling him to transfer your heat. Or your words telling him that you like seeing him. Or your white floral scent on the jacket that you lent him because you didn't want him to get too cold. You're close, in the closest way you'd let yourself be, and he can't really ask for more.

Especially as he sees you standing in his doorway at 2 in the afternoon the following Sunday, your fitted long sleeved top underneath your jacket making him swallow hard. You look good, as you always do, but there's something about you in your casual clothes in his apartment that makes things feel surreal.

"Hi, is the cake ready?" You ask, curiously looking around his spacious pad, almost half of which is the kitchen.

"Almost. I'm still working on a few things," he responds, letting you in.

"Oh, good. Can I do a taste test?"

"Isn't that why you insisted on coming over to pick up the cake?" He cocks an eyebrow, leading you to his work space.

"Pretty much. Once the cake is placed on Mom's dining table, it'll disappear right as I blink," you laugh, knowing how much your family has come to love sweets now.

"Good thing I did a sample the other night of this," he says, showing the salted caramel mousse cake he'd said he made at your mom's request.

It's perfect, you think, as it looks sophisticated and absolutely delicious. He hands you a small plate with a slice of the mini version he made, and you bite into it, feeling the smooth and crunchy textures, the sweetness just the right level.

You close your eyes as you savor the taste, knowing that this is something that Jung-jae would definitely enjoy. You like that your mom made sure to have all his favorite dishes prepared, and you're excited to see him being the spoiled one for the day, given that it's usually your mom who gets everything she wants between the two of them.

You don't see the way Jungkook softens at you, always liking how you look whenever you eat something of his - content and happy. And definitely impressed.

"It's really good, Jungkook. They'll all love this," you smile.

"That's a relief. Impressing your family is one of my goals."

"They're easier to impress, actually, so you're fine."

"Gee, nice way to encourage me," he chuckles. "Anyway, where's the little sunshine? I was looking forward to seeing her today."

"She's with Namjoon and Ma-ri. I had to quickly pass by the mall for this," you explain, handing him a paper bag.

He curiously opens it to find a black thermal-lined sweatshirt. It's simple and looks comfortable, seemingly the right fit for him.

"You can replace the size if you want. And it's Hobi-approved so you can— actually, you should wear it to work."

"What's this for?" He asks, removing the zip-up jacket he's wearing, leaving him in a white sleeveless top, briefly exposing his toned arms - one of which is covered in tattoos - and then trying on what you'd bought.