Chapter 3

Another little girl appeared in the glass. This one had blonde hair and was dressed much finer than the last child, though she was equally pretty. And also like the last girl, she had been gathering flowers but they were daffodils instead of lilies.

"That is Lucy Heartfilia. Poor thing doesn't even remember her mother, she was only three when she passed." Erza said.

"How did her mother die?" Natsu asked.

"Her mother was an adventurous spirit, I knew her very well. She loved to explore and travel. She was a kind of teacher who wanted to share her knowledge with others. But sadly one day as she was coming home from one of her travels, she was attacked by a drunkard who wanted her gold necklace. As he was ripping it off, he shoved her to the ground and she hit her head on a stone. Her death was instant."

"Does she still have her father?"

"Yes but he's a very complicated man."

"How do you mean?"

"He loved his wife dearly and he loved his daughter just the same, but since her mother's passing, Lucy has been kept very close. She's not allowed the grounds of her house."

"What about school?"

"She's homeschooled by tutors."

"What about friends?"

"No friends, unless they happen to be the children of men who have their own stores or land."

"Why?"

"His own father was a slave and when the war freed him, Mr. Heartfilia began work as a sharecropper. Over time he eventually established his own general store which made him very wealthy but very proud. He thought himself too grand for everyone, even those who knew him during his poorer days. He lavished his wife and daughter with expensive gifts and kept company with the biggest fat cats around. He expected to have the best of everything."

"So what does that mean for her?"

"It means someone like you wouldn't be allowed to play with her. You're a servant's son."

"So? What's wrong with my father?"

"To myself and the lord, nothing. He's among the finest men I've ever known. But to someone like Jude Heartfilia, he's too common to be associated with the likes of him."

"That's stupid." Gray said.

"Indeed but a lot of wealthy men are like that. Even your father."

"My father doesn't have a problem with Igneel and he let's me play with Natsu all the time."

"Yes. Silver has no problem with you having a friendship with someone of a lower status. But he'd never let you marry a servant's daughter or any working class woman."

"Marry? Who said anything about me getting married?"

"You're expected to wed once you become a man. Landowners typically want their property to stay in the family and heirs are needed for that to happen."

"Heirs?"

"Children of your own Gray and you need a wife for that."

"I don't want a wife."

"Not now of course. But someday."

"Am I supposed to get married when I grow up?" Natsu asked.

"Well no doubt your parents are hoping that you'll find a wife in adulthood, but unlike Gray's parents, yours will let it happen in it's own time."

Natsu looked back at Lucy.

"Will Lucy get married when she grows up?" He asked.

"Yes she will and her father will accept no less than the cream of the crop."