Chapter 9

The next day was very hot so Ilse sent Juvia down to the well to fetch a bucket of water. She took her cat friend with her and when they arrived, he suddenly took off running into the bayou.

"Oh no! Come back!" She called. "Don't go there! There are snakes and spiders and quicksand!"

She grabbed the bucket of water and followed the cat through wet branches, past tall rushes and tangled vines. The cat led her into the heart of the bayou and it was here that she suddenly heard the sound of someone singing.

"Gris-gris, gris-gris, grine.
Who'll wear my magic gown?
Gris-gris, gris-gris, grine.
Who'll wear my gown so fine?"

Juvia peeked through the moss and found an old woman in a raggedy shawl, doing her spinning and sewing. Though she was doing her work in a most unusual way. Working in a swamp and using moss and rushes for material rather than cotton or thread.

When the old woman saw Juvia, she stood up and suddenly it looked like she was about to faint from the heat.

"Please child, give me a sip of water."  She said. "I'm about to die of thirst."

Juvia nodded and presented the bucket of water to her. The old woman drank her fill of it and smiled at the girl.

"God bless you child, you have a good heart."

"Are you feeling alright?" Juvia asked. "Do you need help?"

"No. A drink of water was all I needed, but I would like to do something for you in return for your kindness."

"That's not necessary. I don't need anything."

"Oh you most certainly do and I think I know just what you need."

With that said the old woman continued with her weaving and sewing and her singing.

"Gris-gris woman work all night,
weave a gown so fine.
Stitch in stars and pale moonlight,
Gris-gris, gris-gris, grine."

And when she was done a gossamer gown made from moss and rushes was in her hands.

"My gift to you child, wear this when you need it most and it will provide you with what you need."

Juvia gave the gown a funny look. She had never heard of anyone wearing a dress made from any plant other than cotton. Especially not plants found in swamps, marshes, and bayous. But she did not want to hurt the old woman's feelings so she accepted the gift and bid her good day. Then she picked up the cat, returned to the well to re-fill the bucket with water, and went straight home.

However once the child returned to the house, her stepmother and stepsister hollered at her for taking so long.

"This water is no warm, it's near boiling!" Shouted Briar as she dumped the pocket on to the porch.

"Here your poor sister is dying for a cool drink of water and you can't even bring her that?!" Ilse snapped at the girl. "You'll be punished good for this!"

Ilse grabbed hold of Juvia and began to hit her. The cat jumped on to vile woman's shoulder and bit down hard into her flesh. She screamed and threw him against a tree, knocking him out.

"Mangy little beast!" She screamed.

"Juvia brought it here!" Briar taddled.

"Is that so? Then you'll doubly punished!"

Ilse not only beat Juvia but she tore her clothes and locked her in the cellar. She was to be given no food, she wouldn't be allowed to leave the cellar all day, and she wouldn't even be given proper clothes. When the cat woke from his fall, he managed pick the lock on the cellar door and sneak in to bring her blackberries to eat and the moss gown for her to change into. The gown was surprisingly comfortable and would keep her cool on hot days and warm on cold days. Though miserable with how her step family treated her, she was grateful to have a friend who would look after her when her father was away.

"I'm glad you're here." She told the feline, patting his head. He purred in contentment.

...

Later that night, on that same day, there was knock at the door of Jude Heartfilia's house. A servant answered the door and there stood the very same old woman from the bayou that Juvia had met earlier. This time she carried a sack on her back.

"I apologize if I'm intruding." She said. "But I've been wandering for a very long time and I still have many more miles to go but I have not eaten all day. Do you have any food to spare?"

From the top of the stairway, Lucy could see the old woman and heard what she said. The poor woman looked so terribly thin, starved so much that you could see her ribcage.

"I cannot give you any money for the food." The old woman continued. "But you may have any of my valuables in exchange."

Before the servant could even answer, Jude appeared, having overheard the entire conversation from the other side of the hall.

"This is not a charity house!" He snapped at the woman.

"Oh no sir, it is no charity. I will gladly trade you one of my most precious treasures for just a morsel."

"Treasures? Ha!" He scoffed, eyeing the bag she carried. "Looks more like trash to me! Begone you hag before I send the dogs after you!"

He slammed the door in her face and walked away without a second thought.

"Beggars!" He muttered. "They're no better than parasites. Why should I give them charity when no one gave me none during my days in poverty."

But his daughter was not so cruel. As quick as she could, she went into the kitchen and grabbed some freshly baked ash cake from the pan. Then she sneaked out the front door and ran after the old woman hobbling away.

"Wait!" She called. "Wait ma'am!"

She stopped and turned around. Lucy stopped right in front of her and offered her the ash cake. The woman smiled, accepted the food, and took a bite. She chewed, smiled, and said:

"Thank you." She then opened up her bag. "Here, take anything you like."

Lucy looked inside the bag, she could see a strange collection of old cups, brushes, a pair of shoes, scraps of cloth, and a small mirror. Lucy chose to take the mirror.

"Good choice." The old woman said. "Now you take good care of that mirror because someday it's going to do you a world of good."

After that the two bid each other goodbye and when Lucy returned to her bedroom, she polished the mirror until the frame sparkled and she hung it up on her wall. It looked so pretty, it made her almost feel guilty for taking it cause that woman surely could have sold it for a good deal of money.

Little did she know that money was something that woman never had to worry about and that she had been hoping that Lucy would take that mirror. Just as she had hoped Juvia would have taken her moss gown. For you see, each of those two items would prove useful in helping those girls with their struggles.