Chapter 5

The very next day when Gray went to visit Erza, she already knew about his little incident with the honeybees and she wasn't very pleased with him about it.

"I taught you that spell to help others not hurt them." She scolded.

"But Erza, they had it coming. They were unfairly cruel to Juvia."

"You were also careless, if someone had seen you create those bees, you might have been in a world of trouble."

"No one saw me do it and if you had seen the way they treated her, you'd think different."

"I most certainly would not."

"Oh no? Use your glass to look at them. You'll see."

Gray wasn't really trying to prove a point to Erza. He only wanted to see how Juvia was fairing but he wasn't going to let Erza know. If she found out that he had taken an interest in a girl, she'd mercilessly tease him.

"Very well then." Erza said.

She produced her glass sphere and again used it to spy on the Lockser Farm. The first thing they saw was Hector and Ilse at the kitchen table.

"Oh dear." Erza said. "So it's true, Juvia's father has remarried the Widow Thronewood."

"You know her?"

"I know of her. Ilse Thronewood is a very greedy, haughty, and conniving woman. When her first husband died she refused to find work for herself so she decided to marry again. However no man in her town would have her because they knew her to be a dreadful woman. That's why she came here, where no one knew her and she could easily manipulate her way into the marriage bed of some poor unsuspecting man."

"Like Mr. Lockser?"

"Yes. She and her selfish daughter Briar have no doubt convinced him that they're just a poor mother and child wanting to start anew."

Hector and Ilse began to talk.

"Juvia is a burden, don't you think?" Ilse asked.

"A burden?" He replied shocked. "I should say not. She is a blessing. I cherish her. Why in the world would you say such a thing?"

"I meant no offense dear husband, it's just that she's so awkward and clumsy. She makes it very difficult for me to keep up with the housework."

"Well I'm sure she doesn't mean to. She's only a child."

"But children must not learn not to cause trouble. Perhaps we should have her do more work around here? Assist me in my wifely duties."

"That's not a bad idea. The children could do with a little experience. It's a good way for Juvia and Briar to learn."

"But Hector my sweet Briar is much too delicate for manual labor. She's not as strong as Juvia nor is she used to house work."

"Maybe so but she can learn just as good as Juvia can. They're the same age and they're both in perfect health. They can both help you with the spinning and the gardening. They can both tend to the sheep and they can both pick up around the house. We'll instruct them carefully on how to do each chore."

"As you wish, but let me do it. After all I know more about housework than you do."

"Somehow I don't think she intends on instructing both girls." Erza predicted.

"But her father said that he wanted them both to help around the house." Gray said.

"Yes but he's not home very often and because of that, his wife may do as she pleases and he will never know."