1. Beginning of the end

I regain my consciousness as I feel my skin burn.My head feels heavy, like if all of my blood is rushing to my brain. My eyesight is fuzzy as I tentatively open my eyes. I sit up against the wall behind me, using all of my might to shift my body. My gaze is drawn to the never-ending blackness in front of me. Fearful, I creep back against the wall, looking up to see the moonlit sky whose light is hitting against the wall, but it didn't cross my feet, and what followed appeared to be a dark emptiness in front of me. I move my hand to my abdomen and feel a sticky liquid on my clothes, bringing my hand to my face. My palm is covered in blood. It has turned black, as if it had bled out long ago.

When I hear the sound of rushing water, my attention is brought back to the gloom in front of me. From the black horizon, a stream of water rushes towards me and one by one it is joined by more, coming out from every direction and before I know it, the water fills my surroundings and starts to rise speedily. I attempt to stand, but my body is completely devoid of strength. My torso is now submerged in water in a matter of seconds. I try to get up by leaning my back against the wall, but my attempt is unsuccessful. My body has lost its ability to move at this point and I am afloat now.I try flapping my limbs around but my body is immobilised.My breathing becomes heavy and the water fills my lungs. As I descend further, I can see the moonlight streaming through the water.

I feel my heart rate slow down and gradually I can feel my brain losing control of my body functions. My eyelids become heavy and start to close but suddenly I am drawn into an embrace by a strong arm which is wrapped around my torso and I feel my head rest against a broad chest. Through the rays of light, I see a face brightly lit against the water but I am unable to make out the features, my head is heavy. I feel his pair of deep set eyes look into mine as the body swims me out of the water. My limbs are tired and my pulse is weak. I hear a murmuring voice, "sweven" it brushes past my ear. The voice becomes louder as it passes from one ear to the other. The water currents become stronger, and before I know it, the arm around my torso is gone, and everything around me evaporates while I am hit by a wave.

My eyes shoot open, and I struggle to tell the difference between reality and a dream. My heart is pounding against my ribs, and my chest feels like it's about to burst. My throat is dry and I feel it burn. Nothing was real; it was all a dream, a nightmare. I slowly rise and lean my head against the headboard. My body is freezing cold and saturated with sweat. My hands continue to tremble, and my legs feel feeble. I slap my hand against the side table in search of my phone. It's four o'clock in the morning.
At this point, I'm accustomed to waking up from a nightmare every now and then. Nothing has been as constant in my life since I was a child as my horrible dreams.
I get out of my bed when my heart rate begins to slow down. I make my way to the study table while tying my hair in a bun. Leaning down, I take my diary from the top of the table and grab a pen. I flip over the pages to get to my so-called "Nightmare tracker" page.

"24 November, 2022
Time: 4:00 AM
DROWNING"

A shudder runs down my spine as I try to recall the details of my awful dream. I'd never drowned in a dream before, but I have nearly died before and I heard the word again.I close the diary with a tiny rage and place it back on the table.Taking a deep breath, I make my way out of the room.I fetch myself a glass of water and hear a door open.

"Did I wake you up again?" I ask Naomi as she rubs her eyes and takes baby steps towards me.

"I wasn't asleep I was listening to a really good song made out of Stray kids memes" I let out a small chuckle at her honest reply.
Nothing is better than listening your favourite beautiful boys before going to sleep. It cures your depression. If I am being honest, it can cure everyone's depression. I laugh to myself as I try to imagine what the song must sound like.