04 | finding verdugo

"Esmeralda

"Esmeralda."

"Hm?"

"You're spacing out again."

Esmeralda blinked a few times before looking up from the paperwork she barely touched to see Spencer staring at her with a playful grin on his face. She could tell that behind his kind eyes and playful grin, he was trying to profile her. For a good reason.

She had been a bit off since receiving the envelope from Orlin Bloom. Not only that, but it was the fact that she had tried tracking Orlin down with the help of her friend, Steve, but he was out of the country. He became no help. She couldn't blame him, but she was frustrated knowing she couldn't ask any other friends in New York for help after everything she had put them through.

It had only been two days since receiving the envelope that she had to read under the full moon and she was already losing her shit. She had gone overdrive by putting two extra locks on her door along with putting locks on her windows. She had even hired a nanny for her precious dog, which she would have never done because she was too frightened that Orlin will figure out where she lived.

"Sorry," Esmeralda forced a grin, trying to force herself to not tear up.

"How have you been?" Spencer cleared his throat as he sat up in his chair. "You know since you have left us all here wondering what happened to you. How have you been, Esmeralda?"

"Spencer—"

"I don't want you to apologize for you leaving because I know it was for something important," Esmeralda could feel her heart twist into a knot at the sadness that was laced in Spencer's voice. "You were like a sister to me, family, and you still are and I want to know if you were okay these past two years because I tried so hard to figure out what happened to you and came up with nothing. The team has tried to figure out what happened to you, but there was nothing because your case is classified."

Esmeralda could feel her nose burn up as she took in Spencer's words carefully. Her brain felt like it was going to explode with all of the emotions that she was feeling at that moment.

Esmeralda couldn't reveal where she had gone even if she wanted to. She couldn't put Spencer or anyone else at risk for her disappearance because she knew the consequences. She could imagine the consequences that could come to her team if she spoke about the horrors she faced to anyone especially now that some of her team members have children of their own and have become closer with relatives.

There was nothing more Esmeralda wanted than to protect the people that she had considered her family. The same way that they have tried to protect her.

It was understandable that her team was trying to figure out what had happened to her. She was keeping it in the dark which annoyed them not because she was keeping it a mystery but because they couldn't figure it out.

"Listen to me, Reid," the young genius sighed as he scooted himself closer to his desk. Esmeralda tried her best to think out her words carefully. "The reason why I left is that I wanted to fix my past, help my friend destroy the one organization that destroyed us and other people out there. I didn't intend on being gone for two years, but I was gone for two years and I'm sorry for all of the pain that I've caused you and the rest of the team during these two years. I know it'll take a long time to make it up to you, but I want to make things right with all of you."