12 | truman howard

TW: mentions a derogatory term towards Latinos/Hispanics

FLASHBACK — 2000

A harsh gasp escaped her lips as she felt a hand clamp down on her mouth. It took her a minute for her eyes to adjust to the darkness that was surrounding her to realize that there was a dark figure above her. Her first reaction was to kick as hard as she could, aiming for the one place that could hurt anyone for a good thirty minutes.

A groan escaped the dark figure's mouth as she continued to cover her mouth as she tried to scream out for help.

"It's Truman," he spoke in a hushed voice, hissing at the sudden stinging sensation on the palm of his hand. "Did you just fucking bite me?"

"Did you just fucking wake me up in the middle of the night?" Esmeralda questioned angrily as she sat up in her broken-down bed. "Why are you here? We have a mission tomorrow, Howard."

"You didn't shower yet?" He questioned, worried.

"They didn't give me the option," she responded harshly.

Truman huffs. "I called the fucking FBI. We have to leave now."

"What are you talking about?"

"I stole Orlando's phone from his office during his lunch break, okay? I had to take it because it's the closest phone in the entire facility," the brunette explained as he pulled the other brunette by her arm.

"Are you psychotic?"

"I am an assassin, idiot. Of course, I am psychotic," she let out a huff before carefully slipping out of her covers, feeling the bruises on her back ache as she tries to stretch. "They will be waiting for us seven blocks from where we are, to the right."

Truman looked bother ways before sprinting out of the small bedroom, dragging a sleepless Esmeralda behind him as he tries to find the nearest exit out of the facility. She was still trying to wake herself up from what felt like a hazy dream as she ran to keep up with Truman.

She could feel her heart pounding as the alarms in the building started blazing, all of the security cameras turning to face the two teenagers that were trying to escape. She gripped Truman's hand as tightly as she could, not caring that his hands were sweating from how anxious and frightened he was.

She could feel her hands slipping as they became sweaty themselves. The sound of the alarms blazing throughout the hallways was no help to how terrified she was. A part of her wanted to go back into her bedroom and pretend that this night didn't happen so she wouldn't get punished if their escape wasn't successful.

Her eyes burning as they glowed, she shot the security cameras and watched them disintegrate quickly. A scream escaped her mouth as she did so, feeling the adverse side effects of her powers take their toll on her once again. Using the limited telepathy she could in the state of mind she was in, she got a hold of an AK-103 and held it close to her body in case the other prisoners decide to come out and attack.