06 | burning passion

TW: mentions blood, violence, wounds, murder, and death

A harsh gasp escaped Esmeralda's lips as her eye hot wide open to see the bright orange and yellow flames surrounding her.

No, she thought to herself as she carefully rolled herself over to find her boss laying beside her unconsciously, blood trickling down the side of his head. She crawled over to her boss, holding his head in her hands as she tried waking up, the smoke inside the burning McDonald's blinding her every so often.

"Wake up," Esmeralda coughed. "Wake up damn it. Fucking wake up, Aaron."

Esmeralda was desperate. Who wouldn't be desperate? She could feel her body weaken every second she was laying on the ground surrounded by the injured and dead bodies of the workers and other customers of McDonald's.

The sounds of the ambulance and firefighters were faint to Esmeralda. All she could hear was ringing in her ears from the explosion and her mind asking how she survived. She could barely feel anything, only the soft pulse coming from Aaron's neck which gave her the relief she thought she wouldn't feel while trapped in a burning building.

Her chest was wheezing as she easily lifted Aaron from the ground, noticing the wounds on his ribs almost looking like a knife caused them. They were profound, oozing, and familiar to Esmeralda but she couldn't remember from where.

"Ma'am," Esmeralda winced at the sudden light shining in her eyes. "Ma'am, can you hear me?"

"Please help him," Esmeralda pleaded to the firefighter.

"I will, ma'am," the firefighter rushed to help the two agents while others began putting the fire out.

She watched in a daze as the firefighter carried her boss out of the building, carefully placing him on the ground as they try to wake him. All she could think about was that he might be dying and she couldn't do anything to help him.

Not in front of everyone at least.

She fought the tears that dared to let themselves free as she stumbled out of the burning building, not realizing the wounds that scattered themselves on her stomach. She didn't care to check on herself as she tried rushing to Aaron, wincing along the way from her twisted ankle. Grateful that her ankle was only twisted.

"Is he okay?" Esmeralda questioned the firefighter tearfully, choosing her own words. "Is he okay? Please tell me if he is okay. He's an FBI agent, he has to be okay."

"His breathing is stabilized, ma'am," she nodded her head before allowing herself to stumble on the sidewalk, sitting flat on the edge as she watched multiple ambulances arrive at the scene.

Esmeralda didn't dare look at the wounds that were on her body. She wasn't worried about herself, she could care less. She was more frightened than she was going to lose one of her good friends to a fire that already destroyed people's lives. She was terrified that she ruined Jack's life more than it already has.