Epilogue

Four Months Later

I squeezed Marcy's hand as the cold gel was spread across my stomach. Despite this being my third ultrasound, I never got used to the feeling. The tech pressed into my abdomen and dragged the probe back and forth. She kept her eyes on the screen, but I noticed her sneaking glances at my eyes. I wish I wore my sunglasses, but Marcy said I looked ridiculous with them on during the winter.

Marcy rubbed the back of my hand with her thumb to try and comfort me. I watched the screen, but I could not make out the black and grey shapes. I could hear the steady beat coming from the monitor. I chewed on my bottom lip as I prepared for the tech to tell me the worst news possible.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

The tech raised a brow.

"Why do you think something is wrong?" she asked.

"Di always thinks that there is something wrong," Marcy said. "I can't tell you how many times she has woken me up in the middle of the night."

The tech giggled and the heat rushed up to my cheeks. Ever since I found out that I was pregnant I had been worrying. I couldn't stop it.

I knew Ben was dead. I killed him myself, and the cops found his body in the cabin. However, it did not stop me from having nightmares almost every night. Ben's face was burned into my mind and I saw him every time I closed my eyes.

It was a difficult decision to keep this baby. I was going to have an abortion as I imagined the child as being sick and disturbed as Ben. When I got to the clinic, I signed the papers but left before they called my name. I couldn't do it.

Marcy had been going with me to every appointment. She's been excited to be an aunt, so she has been happy to join.

"The doctor will be in soon to see you," the tech said.

She wiped the gel off of my stomach and I pulled my T-shirt down. I sat on the edge of the paper-covered table I was lying on. The tech took one last look at my eyes before rushing out of the room.

Marcy let out a deep breath and raked her fingers through her hair. I rubbed and then cradled my belly. We sat in silence for a moment.

My phone vibrated and I pulled it out of my pocket. An unknown number flashed across the screen. I rolled my eyes before ending the call and blocking the number. The last four months of my life had been dodging the countless phone calls from reporters.

"Another one?" Marcy asked.

I nodded.

"It never seems to end," I said.

"It will all end someday," she said. "Life will be back to normal soon."

I swallowed past the lump that was forming in my throat. I would never get a completely normal life. As long as I had these eyes, nothing would ever be normal. I was hoping that in a year I could lie to new people and say they were contacts. My face had been plastered on the news ever since I came home, so most people knew the truth.

Dr. Garcia walked into the room. He had on a white lab coat over his clothes, just like Oliver used to wear. The sweat was building up on my palms and I curled my fingers ripping the paper underneath me.

How do I know if he was part of Gregory's club in the Caribbean?

I didn't, and that is what scared me.

"Hello, Diana," Garcia said. "It's nice to meet you."

My mouth went dry as I stared at Garcia. He wasn't gawking at my eyes and this was the first time I met him. Was he used to seeing these kinds of modifications on people? Has he been to that dinner? Was he a member that had his own kidnapped experiment?