Chapter 1 - An Unfortunate End

Today was grim for the residence of Nazarick, each member gathered within the Throne Room to pay their respects to a special player who currently sat upon the [Throne of Kings]. He was a tall, intimidating creature with pure red skin that clutched desperately to his bones, a pair of white horns protruding from his head in the shape of a jagged crown.

Beside this beast was the Guild Master himself -an Undead [Overlord] named Momonga- who watched the older man with great sadness in his heart; those who knew the skeletal player understood this man to be his father, who was currently undergoing a losing battle against a terrible virus that'd spread through his now-meagre form. Rendering it useless.

Luckily, the man had earned just enough money to retire and live comfortably for the last days of his life, some peace and quiet he'd undoubtedly earned after spending 70+ years in the factories of modern Japan, slaving away for the higher ups who paid little mind to his own personal struggles. It had always been this way, even before the emerging of his illness.

One example that came to the old man's mind was the image of his beloved wife of 30 years, collapsed upon the kitchen floor whilst cooking a lovely meal for their son -the same [Overlord] that currently resided to his left. The man did everything he could, but in the end his wife suffered an untimely death at the hands of modern society and their restless greed. 

Who was this mysterious individual, you ask? A nameless working-class man by the name of Akito Satoru, a single father who dedicated his life to supporting his child and preparing them for the harsh reality that was the real world. He knew how unforgiving and torturous it could be out there, and so he took it upon himself to provide a more dependable form of education.

Now, however, everything he'd worked so hard to protect would be taken away. Just like his beautiful wife. The thought was enough to make Akito cry, his eyes gleaming with distraught and aguish, but he refused to let the rears fall down his cheeks; these were his final moments, and he'd be damned if they weren't the best they could possibly be!

He'd earned that much, hadn't he, after all the shit he'd been forced to endure? The countless hours he spent alone in his bedroom, praying that he'd make enough money to pay rent, all came down to these last few moments of life. It all seemed to bitter-sweet.

Momonga: "Dad? Are you okay?"

Akito: ". . . .Yea, I think I'm alright."

And for the first time in his life, the man was truly being honest with himself; to see his son grow up into a proper member of society, able to pay his way with little financial trouble, whilst slowly climbing the tanks of the upper classes truly brought a smile to Akito's wrinkled face. The constant pain he'd suffered through without complaint were truly made worth it, at least in the end.

Akito: "*Weak Chuckle*. You know, I don't think I've ever told you how proud I am of you, Suzuki. To see the productive young man you've become, it reassures me that after I'm gone you'll have a good life ahead of you."

Momonga: "Dad. . . ."

Akito: "And I don't care what anyone else thinks, to me your everything a father could ask for in a son; we've helped each other grow, you've taught me so many things about life that even I didn't know the meaning of. I guess what I'm trying to say is-"

Feeling his muscles growing weak, the virus slowly burning away his inner workings, Akito forcefully lifted his gaze towards the Undead avatar of his son -Suzuki- who was undoubtedly tearing up on his side of the VR Dive Gear. A myriad of beautiful memories flashed through the older man's eyes, bringing a genuine smile of contempt to his paling face.