Chapter 2: Hotel Calloway

"So, what's the plan?" Skara spoke up. She looked the boy up and down, almost as if placing bets on how he would die in this wilderness. Asher gulped, and turned around, checking his surroundings. The Inn...!

"Hotel Calloway." Asher responded. "That's where you were gonna drop me off, right? We can stop there... Maybe..."

This is the Prince? Skara wondered. He couldn't have been much older than her... Probably around 17... 18 years old? This kid was the shining future of Lightreach, sitting like a nervous wreck in front of her?

"Sounds like a plan." Skara jumped up and started heading off to the hotel.

Asher stood where he was, watching Skara hesitantly.

"Hey, captain, don't make me wait for you. I will leave you behind," Skara said, eyeing the boy.

He looked down at his feet. Asher had slowly begun losing more and more. He had lost his home, his dad, and any sense of security. Now, his life was in the hands of some 17 year old rogue who was ready to ditch him at whatever turn she got...

After what felt like an hour in silence, Asher and Skara reached the hotel. Pleasant music came from somewhere inside, and the homely looking building stood peaceful and inviting. They entered, escaping from the beating sun.

A lady at the desk smiled, greeting them warmly. She was young, but definitely older than Asher and Skara were. "Welcome, you two! Can I help you get situated?"

"Yes, thank you." Skara went over to talk to her, negotiating for a couple of rooms. Asher lingered behind her, looking at the name plaque. Ms. Eagle...

Ms. Eagle wrote in a notebook, smiling at Skara. "It's good to see you again, Skara." She looked at Asher. "And... what is your name, dear?"

Asher looked over at Skara, before turning to Ms Eagle. "Uh... Asher, ma'am."

"Asher...?"

"Asher Viewpoint."

Her pen stopped in her notebook, hand hesitating, before she wrote his name down. She offered them a faint smile, before gesturing to a hallway on her right. "Down there are the rooms, Skara will be staying in room twelve, and Asher will be in room three. Unfortunately those are the only ones available right now..."

Skara nodded, and led Asher down the hall, looking at the door numbers.

"Mm... we're far apart," Skara murmured. She shrugged, and pointed down the hall with her thumb. "If you need anything, I'll be down there."

She walked down the hall to her room, leaving Asher alone. He turned himself, and walked into Room Three.

The bed was carefully made, with two pillows propped and fluffed. There wasn't much to the room, but it provided a good resting place.

Asher sat on his bed, bouncing himself a little, before laying down. His eyes began to close, heavy.

Father...

When Asher next awoke, the moon had risen. He blinked wearily, and yawned... only to pause when he felt pressure near his side. He sat up, but the pressure disappeared and there was only the sound of quick, fleeting footsteps...

He looked down at his hip, and noticed his little pouch had fallen onto the floor, its contents spilled all over. Sighing, Asher squatted down and did his best to cup the precious dust in his hands, and scoop it back into the pouch.

I wonder if I could ask Ms. Eagle for a vacuum? If... they even have one this far from the city...

Asher stood. His door was open... did he forget to close it? He couldn't recall. He shrugged to himself, and stepped into the hallway, rubbing his eyes. He had taken a few steps, when he felt an intense gaze at his back.