Chapter 5: Ill Fathers and Ill Fortune

written by Moskeetees

"Come here, dear..." a soft voice, sweet as honey, echoed through the room. A small boy with dark brown hair stood at the doorway, balling his shirt in his fists. He took a tentative step towards his mother. "My darling son... shouldn't you be asleep?"

The boy looked away. "I... can't..."

His mom smiled sweetly, before lifting him up onto her lap. Water bubbled at her fingertips, forming the shapes of dolphins and whales and schools of fish, floating around the room. The boy watched in awe at the spectacle, and reached out to grab one of the fish.

"Look, momma, I caught it..." he whispered. The water fish floated in his hands, its shape stretching into less of a fish and more of a blob. His mother's eyes widened.

"Zamar... it seems like you're controlling the fish..."

The boy looked up, face full of wonder. The moment distraction caused the fish to fall, soaking Zamar's hands in water.

His mother laughed and wrapped her arms around Zamar. "You're unlocking your Spark." Kissing his forehead, she whispered, "I'm so lucky I get to be your mother..."

Zamar opened his eyes. A dream... Sitting up, he ran a hand through his hair and slid out of bed. His mother had disappeared one night... vanished in thin air. He was taken in by a kind man, who asked for only one thing...

His complete and utter obedience.

Sharpening his sword, Zamar noticed a message come in on his phone. Picking it up, he read it carefully.

New Mission: Bring me Asher Viewpoint. Last spotted in Ironforge.

Zamar sighed, and changed from his sleepwear into a red vest and loose fitting pants. He glanced at a photograph of his mother before leaving.

When I was a little boy, I unlocked my Spark. My mother disappeared the morning after, and that's when I got taken in...

In the streets of Hearthvale, Zamar stuffed his hands into his pockets and walked around inconspicuously. He pulled up a photo of Asher Viewpoint on his phone, narrowing his eyes. I won't let him down.

Asher and Felix were sitting in his workshop. The prince was reading through one of Felix's manuals, while Felix was busy working on Oscar. Skara exited from her room, a jacket pulled over her arms. Her knife was at her hip, as well as a pouch of dust she had stolen from Asher. They both looked up, watching as she left without a word.

"Does Skara do that often?" Felix asked. Asher simply shrugged.

Outside, Skara sighed. Should I bring Asher along? No... I shouldn't bother him with this...

"Whatcha up to, Skara?"

Skara jumped at Asher's sudden intrusion, brandishing her knife. When she realized it was just Asher and Felix, she relaxed.

"Nothing." She sheathed her knife again. "I'm just... going somewhere for a couple hours."

"Can I come?"

She scowled at Asher's persistence, but nodded. Asher smiled, and Felix went and retrieved Oscar.

Skara glowered at Felix. "What do you think you're doing?"

"I'm bored."

"Aren't you supposed to be fixing Oscar?"

"He's done." Felix held up the robot, shiny and new. "Look... Oscar! Who's that grumpy, frowny girl?"

Oscar's screen turned black, scanning Skara. "Skara Ridgewell. Age 17. Scary girl."

"Good job, Oscar. Who wants a cookie?"