five.

𖡼𖤣𖥧𖡼𓋼𖤣𖥧𓋼𓍊

once cam, belly and i got to the car, i immediately opened the door and sat down, belly throwing my bag at me. i sat in the back so i wasn't right next to the two love birds. i honestly have no idea who that guy back there was, or where he went, but he was kinda cute.

"seriously. come on. get in the car. watch your head." jeremiah says, helping conrad into the car, "legs, legs."

"yes. i know how to get into a car." he says, leaning over on me. as soon as he realized he was practically on top of me, he sat up quickly.

"belly. let's go. get in." jere says, getting into the car himself.

"cam can give me a ride home. right, cam?" she asks him.

"yes. that's no problem." cam tells jeremiah.

"no, you're not gonna get in a car with a guy you just met." he tells her.

"i'm cam. cameron." he says, putting his arm through the open window for jeremiah to shake.

"your name is cam cameron?" jeremiah asks. can he please just let her go with him so we can go home. or can belly just please get in the car?

"no, it's ju-just cam. but we actually, we know each other. seventh grade. latin convention. so, like, we're not total strangers." he tells jere.

"okay. no offense, but no. belly, get in the car." he says.

"just get in the car." i groan.

"uh, you should probably go. but, um, the whaling boat that i intern on, it leaves at dawn every morning from the piers. i was wondering if you would, uh, want to come." cam asks belly, glancing over to jere a few times.

"uh, yeah, yes, sure. i mean, how else will you get your hoodie back, right?" belly says, laughing.

"that's true." cam laughs.

there's a moment of silence before belly looks at jeremiah, then kisses cam, "i'll just..."

cam jumps out of the way so she can get in, "oh, yeah."

belly gets in the car, "bye."

jeremiah starts the car, no one talking, just peaceful silence. until jere stomps on the breaks, "shit! steven! watch conrad. i'll be right back." he says to belly and i, getting out of the car.

i pull out my book to read when i hear heavy footsteps coming towards the car, "hi." they pant out.

i look over to see the random boy that had helped me up, standing next to my door, "hi." i say, smiling.

"i'm, um, i'm monroe. uh- ledger. but everyone just calls me mo." he says with a smile.

"delilah conklin, mostly everyone just calls me lilah, though." i say with a slight laugh.

"it's really nice to, you know, formally meet you. uh- is your face ok?" he asks, referring to earlier.

"oh, yeah, i'm all good." i tell him.

"good, good. um, i work at the bookstore, down by the boardwalk, if you ever wanted to go get some books, or something." he says, motioning towards the book in my hand.

"yeah, of course. i'd love to." i say, smiling.

"all right," he says with a cheesy smile, "awesome. i've, uh- gotta go, but i'll see you around?"

"yeah, for sure." i tell him, laughing.

"cool. uh- bye." he says waving, jogging backwards.

"bye." i say, smiling.