nine.

𖡼𖤣𖥧𖡼𓋼𖤣𖥧𓋼𓍊

tw: mentions of assault

conrad

"you know, this shit is so boring. can we go somewhere?" i ask steven and jere. after the whole thing with laurel and cleveland, this place was not necessarily where i wanted to be.

"yeah. where?" steven asks.

"we could go into town, i don't know, buy some weed from that guy with the rainbow dash tattoo?" jere suggests.

"nah, he got arrested last summer." i tell him. that guy had some good deals, too.

"oh, shit. really?" jere asks. at this point i've dozed off. i cant help but think about dels and who the guy she's with is.

"yeah." i say.

"yeah, we could go to the drive in." steven suggests.

"dude, gross. no, i-i don't want to watch belly and lilah hooking up with kids in the back seats of minivans." jere says. after he brought up seeing who the guys were, the drive in didn't sound like that bad of an idea.

"yo, actually..." i begin, steven looking at me, "let's go to the drive in."

"wait. like... like, really?" he asks.

"yeah. why not?" i say.

"yeah. yeah!" steven laughs.

"alright, bro." i say, getting my keys out of my pocket and tossing them to him, "you're driving."

"oh, yes." steven laughs as i get up off the couch.

"guys..." jere groans.

"get up. come on." steven says, pulling him off the couch.

𓆉

lilah

la vie en rose plays gently throughout the lot. we haven't let go of each other's hands since they first found each other.

i look over to him to see him turning his head to look at me. i quickly look away then look back at him, "can, um... can i ask you a question?"

"yeah." he says, smiling.

"why literature?" i ask him, referring to his interest in books.

"well, why not?" he laughs.

"i just... i feel like it's something people want to pursue at at least one point in their life, but end up moving on from it. but y-you stuck with it." i explain.

"yeah." he begins, "i-i feel like i live in two worlds. one is a world of books. i get to experience all these different things, explained from different point of views. it's a rewarding world. and then the other is real life. but it's not like you have a basic guideline of what will happen, it's just fate. but in books, you know the main idea, and- i don't know- it's just- i find comfort in knowing at least a little bit of what's to come. i think other people should be able to find comfort like that in literature, too, and be able to relive those moments over and over. but- i mean you can't really do that in real life, not like you can in a book." he explains.

"wow." i whisper. i've never been able to explain the comfort i've felt by reading books and he just explained it perfectly.

"yeah." he says, cheeks flushed.