six.

tw: mentions of body dysmorphia and eating disorder

𖡼𖤣𖥧𖡼𓋼𖤣𖥧𓋼𓍊

i rode my bike down to the boardwalk, keeping an eye out for the bookstore. mo didn't give me many details so it's all luck right now. once i finally found the bookstore, i drop my bike and run up to the door. 'closed', the sign said.

sometimes it kind of feels like no matter how hard i try, i just keep... missing the right time.

i take a few deep breaths before turning back around and heading for my bike. i take a look back at the store as if the sign will magically change. news flash: it didn't.

𓆉

when i get back to the house i put my bike in the back.

"hey." i turn around to see belly, walking towards me with her bike.

"hey, where were you?" i ask.

"uh, the pier, and you?" she says, putting her bike next to mine.

"boardwalk."

"ooo, did you see your new friend?" she says, wiggling her fingers.

i laugh, "no, they were closed."

"it's ok lils, i missed the boat, you're not alone." she says, patting my back.

"come on, let's go in." i say, grabbing her hand and pulling her inside.

"good morning." jeremiah says while standing over the stove.

"where have you been?" mom asks us, "lilah, is that a bruise?"

"um, i-i bumped into someone." i say, looking into the living room to see conrad looking at me.

"you bumped into someone?" mom asks, moving my hair out of my face.

"doesn't look that bad." conrad groans from the couch.

"um, cereal?" jere asks belly and i.

"yeah, hit me." we say at the same time.

he laughs, "sure."

"oh, my god!" i hear susannah shout from the other room, "belly and lilah are gonna be debutantes."

we laugh as she hugs us, "it's really not that big of a deal." belly says.

"i'm sorry. like, belly and lilah? like, my sisters? like, those things right there?" steven asks, pointing at us.

"shut up, cretin." i say.

"okay, this is gonna be so much fun. just you wait. there is, uh... there's the tea, the auction, and the ball, of course, the rehearsal. i got to write this down." susannah lists as belly and i eat our cereal, "we need to go shopping."

"this sounds... expensive." mom says as belly and i take our bowls of cereal and sit at the kitchen table.

"oh, don't worry, laur. it's on me. it was my idea after all, and we still need to style you for your book party, so..." susannah tells mom.

"belly, lilah, are you sure you want to do this? it doesn't seem very you." mom asks as belly and i look at her, shrugging our shoulders.

"it's not." conrad states from the living room.

"conrad, could you please be a little more supportive? now, which two of you are gonna be belly and lilahs escorts to the ball?" susannah asks. it was obvious she was directing the question towards conrad and jere, seeing as it would be kinda weird if steven took one of us. i cant help but hope that conrad will be the one taking me, and jeremiah takes belly, and both of our summer wishes will come true.