Christmas & the Yule Ball

The weeks passed quickly, and November melted into December, although I suppose freezing would be a better way to describe the bitter winter that washed upon them. 

Christmas was in a week, and Duke was frantically searching Hogsmeade for his final gift. Shopping for one of the richest families in the USA proved to be hard. How do you find gifts for people who have everything they could ever want?

Through a long search, that's how. 

It was through this search that he found himself in a secluded forest, just a few yards away from the village. 

And there, just a few feet away, stood a Unicorn, head held high in all of its majestic beauty. 

It was the perfect gift for Damian: a secluded spot where animals could come and visit him all the time. 

He had his final gift. 

Simple, but effective. 

With a grin, he memorized the landmarks around him, taking note of the deer paths that led back to Hogsmeade, and the large tree that looked to be about as big around as it was tall. It must be decades -maybe even centuries- old. 

It was beautifully perfect. 

… 

To be frank, none of the Wayne's were particularly excited about the Yule Ball. They'd gone to many Balls before -more than they could count- and hated them all. Dances just did not interest them. Not when they could be jumping off balconies and racing through the streets. 

Which is why they were now gathered around each other in the Room of Requirement, arguing. 

"Why does anyone have to go in the first place?" Jason wondered aloud. "We all hate Balls. Let's just stay back." 

Dick shook his head. "No, we can't. Not only would that look suspicious, but Bruce specifically said that we should go to the Ball to watch out for any… criminal activity."

Damian snickered quietly from his perch on the counter, utterly gleeful that he was too young to attend the celebration. 

Tim, hearing him, glanced back with a smirk, winking. 

"Bruce can suck my-" 

"Jason!" several voices exclaimed, tones varying levels of amusement and aggravation. 

Jason shrugged, unapologetic. 

"I say we flip a coin or something. Some of us will go to the Ball to keep an eye on everything, the rest of us will scour the castle for any clues." Tim suggested, staring at his siblings with a curled eyebrow. 

It was with that, things were decided. 

Dick and Damian stood to the side, Damian would be the face of those staying behind, whilst Dick would be the one for those going. 

Tim and Duke went first, and Barbara flipped the coin, letting them call out heads or tails before revealing it. 

And thus, teams were made. 

Damian, along with Stephanie, Tim, and Cass would be searching the castle for clues. 

That left Dick with Babs, Duke and, much to his chagrin, Jason. 

He would deny this later, but Tim definitely laughed at the indignant look on his elder brother's face. 

Let the celebrations begin. 

… 

The week passed, and Barbara was pulling on her outfit for the ball: a knee length, green, lantern-sleeved dress.