Chapter Two

Annabeth Pov

I was on a mission on Santa Monica Pier. I was undercover as basically myself, a teenager with nothing better to do than hang out by the beach. I was spying on some teen supposedly working with the A.S.I.S. I didn't know all the details about why because gods forbid my mother tell me anything important.

He seemed to be around four years older than me and was tan, had curly hair, freckles, and a little goatee. He walked with a sort of limp and wore a tie-dye shirt that said "Vegan and Happy". Basically, I was just stalking this poor kid along the pier. He walked towards the end of the pier and kinda just stood there looking awkward for around five minutes before two other guys around my age showed up.

One of them was tall and blonde while the other was a scrawny Latino with curly hair. They all bro-hugged and seemed to catch up  like they had been long-time friends. After around ten minutes, the conversation turned to a serious topic. All of their expressions turned tense and they looked around paranoid like someone or something was watching them, which I was.

Anyway, I tried to get closer to the conversation so that I could try to hear what they were saying. All I could make out was, "Athena may be the key to this..." before another boy came and joined the group.

The boy was tan with jet black hair and sea-green eyes. He seemed to be around the same age as the blonde kid. The group changed back to their easy-going attitudes as if they were trying to hide any trace of their business from this new kid.

After another thirty minutes of watching them fake-punch each other and talk about how cool they were, I decided that the business talk ended when the kid with black hair showed up.

I pulled my phone out to fake text a friend that I was on my way so that I could walk away from the group without being noticed, but right as I turned I was face to face with the one and only set of sea-green eyes of the one boy from the group. He stuck out his hand and said, "Percy, Percy Jackson".

I tried my best to put on a straight face and replied, "Not interested" before walking straight past him.

Not much to my surprise, Percy followed me saying, "Ouch, playing hard to get. Could I at least talk to you over ice cream?"

I replied, "Sorry, I'm in a hurry."

At this point, he had caught up to me and was walking with my stride. He asked, "Well could I at least get the name of the beautiful lady beside me?"

Wow this kid was brave. Well I might as well just talk to him and then he might leave me alone, and to be honest he wasn't bad looking himself.

"Fine. I'm Annabeth, Annabeth Chase", I said, stopping to return his earlier rejected handshake.

We shook hands and then kinda stood there in awkward silence. I looked over and saw his buddies watching us and giving him thumbs-ups. Right as I was about to start walking away again we asked, "Wouldyouwanttogooutwithmesometime?"

I responded, "What" because to be totally honest I have no idea what he said.

He repeated, "Would you like to go out with me sometime?"

I was at a loss for words. I had never been asked out before. I was raised at the agency and didn't really have many friends other than a kid named Luke who also trained in the agency's child program. Percy seemed to notice my shock and grabbed my hand. He started writing something and said, "You don't have to answer now but if you change your mind just give me a call."

After he said that I noticed that he had written his number on my hand. I just kinda nodded my head and speed-walked away.

Me. Annabeth. Prideful and confident, Annabeth. Wow, I feel like an idiot. To be honest, I kinda wanted to go on a date with Percy, but I knew my mother would never let that happen so it was kinda out of the picture.

After that, I made my way back to the agency to tell my mom what I saw on the mission. I related everything back to her about the mission, except for the Percy-asking-me-out part.

After I finished speaking, she just sat there with a puzzled look on her face. She was probably thinking about the line I heard the blonde kid say, Athena may be the key to this.

After five minutes of actual cricket chirping silence, Athena let out a big sign. I looked back at her concern because she seemed to not like the next steps of whatever she was planning.

Finally, she said, "I have another mission for you. I need you to get close to the A.S.I.S. 's head agent's son."

I nodded, not sure why that was such a problem. She continued, "I need you to become his girlfriend so that you can get close to his dad."

Now I see why she didn't like this plan, and I wasn't too keen on it either. She said, "He was one of the boys that you saw today with Grover, who was the hippie kid I asked you to spy on."

No. No. No.

Athena said, "The A.S.I.S.'s head agent's name is Poseidon ''.

Crap.

My mother finished, "I need you to become Percy Jackson's girlfriend so that you can spy on his dad."

Zeus kill me. Great. Just great. I bet the fates are dying laughing seeing my life right now.

Well, at least he wrote his number on my hand in a sharpie.