4. Justitia part 1: Bad Omen

Ravens in the sky
Breath is getting colder
Something is not right
Bad Omen - Fjora 

The palace was quiet and dark outside of the wildness of the ballroom. Mykolas followed the princess through the halls with Onika in his keel sole. His wolf was as quiet as the dead, her paws not even making a noise. Mykolas made a noise with the guard shoes he needed to wear. His hand was on the sword in case those bastards returned, and he held Arinya's necklace in his other hand.

It was never so clear as tonight. The distance between him and the princess. She was meant to marry the strongest royal bloodline and rule the world. And when he removed the necklace, it felt like he had stabbed himself in the heart. That was before he had seen them dance. They looked like a perfect couple; the bastard smiling and touching her. He wanted to claw his eyes out when he saw that. And given his wolf's reaction, she wanted the same thing. Then her reaction, the anger, and shame.

At that time, Mykolas made a promise. If Arinya didn't kill the bastard, he would do it. Preferably slowly over multiple days.

The princess entered her room, and he sprinted to her door, which she closed with brute force. He raised his hand to knock, but stopped. The princess usually wanted to be alone when she was upset. He looked at his wolf silently and asked what he should do. She whimpered and pushed her nose against the door. He went against his instincts and knocked.

"Go away!" She screamed, and he got a flashback from her teenage years. When she often cried over her changing body or how unfair her mother was to her. How small those problems seemed.

"Princes, I am going to enter. Please don't bite my head off." He warned while opening the door. He was happy and concerned when he found it unlocked. Onika immediately entered the room and started sniffing around, checking for intruders. It was good that the princess had him protecting her, or else she would already be long dead.

When he saw her, that thought came back tenfold. Trying to get the expensive piece of jewellery off with a double-edged blade.

"The fuck, princes!" He ran towards her, "drop it! Drop that blade right now!" She was looking murderously at him. Onika came looking from the bathroom, curious about Mykolas yelling.

"I can't get it off. I can't breathe." The first words still sounded fierce, but a pinch of panic seeped through them.

"So you just think that it is a good idea to cut it off?" He asked her when he took the blade from her hands and threw it out of her reach. Where did she even get that blade?

She probably stole it from you when she was in her princess warrior phase. Told the small voice at the back of his mind.

"It won't come off." She sobbed while her shoulders started shaking. She kept on repeating it and fell to her knees, her hands on her throat. Mykolas fell with her and carefully unlocked the necklace. She yanked it off her neck the moment it went loose. Some strings of hair got junked with it and she threw it against a wall with all her might. Some diamonds flew out of it. Before he could joke about the poor quality, she had thrown herself against him and started crying. He put his arms around her and pulled her into his lab. His hand was gently combing through her hair. Onika got closer and nuzzled the princess' neck. In response, she only made a sad giggle.

"It's okay, I'm here." He whispered to her. Her smell of lavender and old books embraced him. He kept repeating the comforting words until she calmed down. Her hands fisted his jacket.

"I'm scared." She whispered. He pulled her closer and put his chin on her head. Mindlessly rubbing his hand on her arm. Onika lowered beside the princess and laid her head on her feet, quickly falling asleep.