10. Prudentia part 2: If I can dream

There must be peace and understanding sometime
Strong winds of promise that will blow away the doubt and fear
If I can dream of a warmer sun

If I can dream - maneskin

"Stop!" a voice roared through the arena. Arinya was waiting for the impact. The arrows came closer, and the whistle split the air and announced the death.

It became quiet. The whistle stopped, and the crowd fell silent.

Arinya slowly looked up from where she had hidden her face in the girl's hair.

She came eye to eye with the point of an arrow.

Floating in the air.

She searched for the voice's source. Mykolas stood over the balustrade with his hand stretched out toward the two girls. His face was concentrated and serious. Sweat dripped from his temple to his jaw. He used an immense part of his magic, which increased the air's friction. It must have been arduous to increase the friction so much that the arrows stayed afloat in the air. Arinya gave him a thankful smile, and he answered with a pissed-off face. He swatted his hands down and the arrows followed the movement. They fell to the ground with a dull sound.

"You wankerpixies!" Howled Belfagor from behind Mykolas. Arinya was thunderstruck when she saw the Collector climb on the balustrade and address the nervously growing crowd. "Do you know in what situation you are falling into?!" His voice thundered over their heads. He was commanding the guards as a king. "This is princess Arinya of Lieta, whom you wanted to pierce through with a thousand arrows!" A god, he was dramatic. Arinya thought when the crowds shouted in return, the disbelief was clear. Arinya had to give them this. She didn't look the part of a crown princess. With her dark leather clothes and a trembling girl clamped against her. It was the biggest distraction they could make.

"What is your name?" She softly asked the girl, who turned her enormous eyes to her. She opened her mouth and closed it again, like a fish out of the water. Arinya tried to smile gently at her to reassure her. "Faline, princess." She whispered her answer. Her eyes nervously flashed around the arena. "Please call me Arinya, I prefer that more."

"Princess Arinya." The crowd made way for a small man. His grey hair and yellow eyes were clear from the distance she was standing at. Ardit was always wearing an expensive suit trimmed with gold. He waved the men away, and the guards made their way towards the princess. The princess pushed the girl behind her, and defensively her ground.

The guards came closer, and the lions roared in answer.

They fell to their knees.

"Princess Arinya. Advisor Ardit demands your presence in his office." The guard's voice was cold and unbendable. Arinya slowly took Faline's hand and followed the guard. They pulled up their noses when the girl passed. The cuffs were already in their hands to chain the slave.

Princess Arinya showed her teeth in warning. Her ears pulled back aggressively. They retreated in fear of the princess. Or maybe they feared Mykolas. They escorted the princess and the slave girl towards the office, where a large desk filled the space. A desk that was partly hidden by paperwork and jewels. She came curious and closer to look; the papers were filled with numbers and values. She hadn't expected something else.

Faline stood at the door, ready to escape. Anxiously rubbing her hands. The guards took place alongside the door that opened for the advisor. Faline fell back shakily back towards the princess. Arinya tried to collect all her courage and tilted her nose upwards.

"Advisor Ardit." Her voice was formal while she nodded. Belfagor and Mykolas entered after the old man. Belfagor relaxed as if he entered his office every evening and Mykolas was a nervous wreck. His eyes saw everything and his hands were on his sword. His fingers were white from the firm grip. He started investigating her for wounds when he came closer. Every dutiful guard. The only sign she gave him, she was all right, was taking his pinky in hers. The advisor saw it and pulled an eyebrow up. Arinya's face soured. Belfagor lay down on the expensive couch. His feet in the air.