12. Prudentia part 4: Rebel girl

When she talks, I hear the revolution
In her hips, there's revolution
When she walks, the revolution's coming
Rebel girl - Bikini Kill

"Where are you going?" The voice was mysterious, but she recognised it.

"Bel?" she asked, while trying to see his face. The blue light highlighted his high cheekbones and fallen cheeks. The lack of sleep made the circles under his eyes even worse. "What are you doing here?"

"I asked you the question." He was unbothered. Not knowing that he scared the soul out of her.

"I have to do something." Arinya stepped towards him, crossing his path to walk back towards the main road. He took her arm and stopped her.

He leaned over her. "You didn't answer my question."

She felt his breath on her skin, warm against her cool cheeks. He stood so close that she could see the different blue in his irises. His pupil dilated from the lack of light.

"I'm going to free the slaves." She revealed, the world stopped turning, as if it was waiting on her answer. Its axis turned as fast as her heartbeat. It felt good. She felt like she had found her place in the world. As if she had taken a step toward her fate.

"I'm going with you. I do like to steal money from that old fox." Belfagor declared proudly and followed her in the arena's direction.

"Yes, keep telling yourself that." She teased him while giving him a playful push on his shoulder. He smiled at her and pushed her back. She giggled at his antics. Being in the dark city, she had forgotten that she was a princess. She forgot her deities. That she had plotted a plan to stop the next war and that the person she was in love with before she understood what love was outside her reach. Even if he was every day so close that she could smell him. They hiked towards the arena in silence until they arrived at the tall walls filled with the names of the dead. It was so tall that the sky disappeared behind it.

"How do we get in?" She asked Belfagor. He only winked at her and waved her toward the smaller gate than where they entered at midday.

"They let the slaves in through here." He whispered to her while monitoring the guards. He had a steel falcata at his side, at least it was a falcata according to Mykolas. But he didn't take his sword when he came closer to the guards. He strolled full confidence towards the guards and started talking to them like he didn't plan to break in. He pulled out a falcon and offered it to the guard. Both of the guards sipped and fell like a bag of bricks. Arinya joined Belfagor with her mouth open, surprised by his quick thinking. 

"Did you kill them?" She asked him in shock. He smiled at her and her stomach turned. She had thought of him as a semi-innocent person. However, he wasn't innocent. The dangerous and wild twinkle glowed in his eyes.

"Of course not. It's a sleeping poison." He poked the guards with his foot. "They should be grateful. It's an expensive poison." Arinya rolled her eyes and pulled him into the deep hallways of the arena. The inside of the building remained a bit of a labyrinth. The hallway was broad enough for two elves to walk side by side and the never-ending split-off didn't stop. Belfagor weirdly knew the way. He strolled with confidence that no one was guarding the inside of the arena. They arrived at the open arena. The night sky was visible with the moon that resembled a wink. Some stars were visible. Apparently, the arena was far enough for the stars to be visible again. The city made the sky glow blue as if the sun never set down.

"Wait here." He commanded and went back inside the hallways. "I will get them for you." Her instinct told her to ignore his command, that she shouldn't take anyone's command. She was meant to become a queen, not a servant. Then it was the issue that he would round them up as cattle. They were still persons with free minds. Before she could follow him to speak her mind, the slaves filled the arena one by one. Their gaze wandered, unsure around them. The youngest was maybe eight and Arinya felt heartbreak when she saw the boy. A fierce and brave boy that didn't waver. He resembled a cornered wild animal. Ready to fight and defend himself. The oldest slave was a firm woman of fifty years old who probability still could lift Saturnin's axe and chop someone's head clear off. The other slaves were a mix of elves, orcs and halflings. She even witnessed a Garoeda, a creature that was lean and tall. Their bones were brittle, and they had sharp claws. And wings. The wings of this Garoeda resembled glass and the wee bit of light that shone in the arena was reflected in a thousand colours. He met her stare, and it was as if a living skull was looking at her. He averted his gaze shamefully to the ground, his shoulders pulled up. She immediately regretted her staring. The slaves made way for the slave that appointed themselves as their leaders. A powerful man with black ram's horns and long black hair. Arinya didn't move, her back still straight and her head held high.