Cabinet Meeting #1

Y/n was more than ready to face whatever's awaiting her in N.Y.C.

But she was not ready for what was waiting for them when they stepped into the place.

"James!" Thomas exclaimed, his arms open.

Y/n got out of the carriage and got a better look at the man. He seemed angry in some sort, and compared to Thomas, he was tiny.

Patsy seemed happy to see him.

"Patsy," Y/n whispered, tugging on her sister's dress. "Who's he?"

"James Madison," Patsy told her youngest sister. "A family friend. Actually, he's more family than friend. You met him when you were little, but I doubt you'll remember him. You were only two."

James angrily grabbed Thomas' arm. Y/n laughed, amused at her father's surprising reaction.

"What's goin' on?" Thomas asked his best friend.

The Jefferdaughters overheard their father's and James' conversation. 

"Thomas, we are engaged in a battle for our nation's very soul," James explained. "Can you get us out of the mess we're in?"

"That doesn't sound good," Polly whispered.

"Mhm," Patsy agreed.

"Hamilton's new financial plan is nothing less than government control," James continued.

"Who's Hamilton?" Y/n asked.

"This really short guy with a temper," Patsy explained. "Dad met him once before we left for France."

Polly sighed. "I miss France."

"Same," Patsy and Y/n said at the same time.

"I've been fighting for the South alone," James continued. "Where have you been?"

"France, wha - " Thomas deadpanned.

Y/n chortled.

"We have to win," James concluded.

"Ha!" Patsy laughed as she edged closer to Thomas and James. "So what'd we miss?"

"Were you overhearing our conversation?" asked Thomas.

"Only a little."

James' face immediately softened. "How're my favourite nieces doing?"

"We're good, uncle James," Patsy said before hugging James.

"Polly." 

James stretched his arms out to hug her. Polly obeyed.

"I'm fine. Better now that you're here."

James chuckled. "I can't disagree with that."

"Why am I always the last to be greeted?" Y/n complained.

"Because you're the youngest," Polly said.

"Because they leave the best for last," Patsy spoke.

"Hey, Y/n," James said. "I'm James Madison, a friend of your father's. I met you once when you were two, I don't think you remember."

"No, I don't remember meeting you, but I will sure remember meeting you now," Y/n spoke.

"God, she talks like Martha," James said to Thomas.

Thomas smiled at his daughter as he nodded. Then his face turned slightly annoyed.

"I've come home to this?" he groaned. "Headfirst into a political abyss!"

"Yeah," said Polly. "Headfirst, into the abyss."

"Well, I have my first cabinet meeting today. I guess I better think of something to say." Thomas put his hand on James' shoulder. "I'm already on my way, let's get to the bottom of this."