Maria Marries

WARNING: Many new names of family members!

~*~1797~*~

After waiting for almost a year, Thomas gave John Wayles Eppes the blessing to marry his daughter. John was ecstatic, hoping the love of his life would accept his hand in marriage.

Fortunately for him, Polly didn't stutter a 'yes.'

Friday, October the 13th, 1797 started with a glorious morning. The birds, the flowers, and the people all seemed lively and awaiting the upcoming marriage. The Jefferson/Randolph family got ready in Monticello while waiting for Polly's arrival.

"Ugh, I'm boiling in this dress already," groaned Y/n.

"Are you to complain the entire time, Y/n?" questioned Patsy as she helped Jeff button his shirt.

Y/n turned to look at Patsy, and sarcastically said, "Well, what else am I good for?"

"I feel like a princess," said Martha (the Jeffersister's cousin) as she twirled in front of a mirror. "Do I look like one?"

Thomas (another cousin) snorted. "Martha, you wish to know what I think you look like?"

"Thomas!" Martha cried.

Edward (another cousin) entered the room, fixing his coat. He took a look around, disappointed to not find the bride. "And where's the lovely Polly?"

"She's only been getting ready the whole evening," said Lucy Maria (another cousin).

"Only her whole life," said her twin, Mary Polly.

"Well, I'll go fetch for her," said Robert (again, cousin).

Isham (you guessed it, cousin) stopped him. "No, I'll go fetch for her. She likes me better than you anyway."

"And who says that?"

"Well, everyone says that."

Polly's room door opened. "I'm here. Quit the hassle."

At her sight, the family gaped in awe. She wore a beautiful cream dress, with many pleats and fancy folds. Her waist was small, her skirt was done bustle style, and her veil was in her hand. Her hair was up in a half-up-half-down look, letting her brown curls cascade down her shoulders.

Thomas' (the cousin) mouth hung open. "You—you look—"

"Like a princess," finished Martha.

"Yeah," Thomas breathed out.

She really did look like a princess. Her dress of fine white muslin embraced her curves and imperfections and boosted Polly's confidence. Over it, laid a soft silk primrose white shawl, with embossed white-satin flowers, that fell perfectly over her shoulders.

"Thank you both," Polly thanked. "Although, a princess needs her crown. Can anyone help me put on my veil?"

"I can!" Patsy and Y/n called in unison.

Polly chuckled. "Thank you."

As the youngest and oldest Jeffersister put on Polly's veil, the bride couldn't help but smile. This was the moment she'd been dreaming of since she was little. This was the moment she had been picturing in her dreams ever since John Wayles Eppes and his beautiful gummy smile had walked into her father's study that one April afternoon.

A tear escaped her eye as her sisters did the finishing touches on her veil.

"It's done, Polly," Y/n sighed, marvelling at her sister.

Polly cleaned the tear. "Thank you."

The sisters marvelled at each other, pride occupying each of their thoughts. Polly had never felt more thankful to have her sisters by her side.