What Goes Around

The look in Katy's eyes when she'd told Jason to get the fuck out of her apartment had stuck with him. He tried, but couldn't shake the feeling that her trembling body and sharp words had left him with. It's not everyday that someone looks evil in the eye and lives to tell the tale. Something sinister showed itself. Something Jason had never seen before, and it sufficiently scared him into retreat. He was firm in his decision to no longer meddle in the life of Katy, no matter how badly he lusted after one more night with her. And besides, he was distracted enough with Maggie not to concern himself with a past lover, past employee who never really meant anything more to him than a good fuck and a reasonably good waitress.

Maggie was easy and impressionable and bent to whatever sexual whim Jason fancied. But Maggie was also nineteen, and wanted to spend time with her other friend with benefits. Someone her age who she met in art class. Someone who wasn't a naughty little secret. Someone who was, in many ways, the the exact opposite of her boss. Sure, the sex was better with Jason, but he was more than twice her age and that made her feel self-conscious about being seen together in public. And they didn't really have anything to talk about, and even if they did share some common interests, which they didn't, Jason had made it clear that talking was not on his to-do-list of activities to share with Maggie.

The restaurant was preparing to close after a relatively slow weekday evening when Maggie approached Jason and asked, "Would it be alright if I left a few minutes early tonight?"

"Why? I was hoping you'd come home with me after work," he said, simultaneously putting his hands around her hips and pulling her into him.

"Aw, I wish, but I can't. I already have plans," she said, with her hand pressed gently against his chest as he moved in for a kiss in plain view of their co-workers and the few remaining customers.

"What do you have to do, study? Bring your books to my place. I'll be your professor for the night."

Maggie glanced over his shoulder and peered out the window onto the street. She saw Kevin, the art boy, waiting in his car just outside the front entrance.

"Really, I can't tonight, sorry. I have to go. I'll see you tomorrow," she said, patting him on the shoulder and making haste for the door.

Jason watched her go, watched her get into the waiting car, watched the back of her head being held while she passionately kissed the punk kid who had won her affections for the night. His blood boiled. He couldn't believe that she picked some college kid over him. It was almost too much for him to handle.

"Dumb bitch, what does she know? Maybe this is why you don't fuck nineteen year-olds. They're too stupid to know what's good for them," he mumbled to himself.

The next day when Maggie walked into work she saw Jason organizing items near the bar. "Hiya," she said from a dozen feet away.

He ignored her. She walked over to where he stood and tried again, "Hello, anybody home?" She playfully poked his chest with her index finger. He swatted at her hand when it made contact.

"Geez," she whined in response to his clearly pissed off gesture.

"You left early yesterday without permission. Do you know how that makes me look in front of the rest of the staff? As if it's not bad enough that they all know we're screwing, then you go and flaunt your privilege. You're going to get us sued, ya know!"

Maggie was at a loss for words. She knew it had been an unwise decision to accept her boss's sexual advances when they began, but since then she'd convinced herself that it was alright, no need to worry, he's mature enough not to let it get in the way of work.

The topic of her boss and his uncontrolled outburst would weigh on her mind until the next morning. But the decision ended up being an easy one. Who cares, was at the root of it. Ending things with Jason was out of the question. She was into deep. She liked what they had. She enjoyed her job and didn't want to look for a new one. And even if he could be a jerk at times, all the other aspects over-powered this concern, and made his occasionally shitty attitude seem like a small price to pay. She'd keep the job, and keep sleeping her the boss. What's the worst that could happen? She was young and living without worries.