Chapter 7

Eggman was floating in his hovercraft, occasionally glancing down at the coordinates on the dashboards GPS. Also with him were Orbot and Cubot, and of course, Metal, who was hanging of the side of the hovercraft so he wouldn't get in the way but could still stay near.

"Hey, doctor? Where are we going?" Cubot asked as Eggman sighed. "I thought I told you two fools already. We are going to the old ruins where there's an ancient temple, full of writings and other relics." "So we're going for the relics?" "No you fool, we're going for the writings. Because according to the data Metal brought back, old legends tell of a dark spirit of calamity and absolute destruction. If I could harness it's power, I could finally get rid of Sonic."

There was a small pinging noise from the dashboard, and as Eggman looked upward, he saw a massive temple in ruins and covered in vines and other plants. The doctor pressed a button on the dashboard and a small laser cutter popped out. The laser burned through the vines covering the entrance with ease as the hovercraft continued forward.

After they came through the rotting temple doors, the doctor landed his vehicle near the entrance and got out. "According to the coordinates, the writings should be right around here..." He stopped, looking up at the walls, where there were deep carvings dug into the faded marble walls. Eggman grinned triumphantly and pulled out his handheld translator, which shot out a wide beam of light over the wall, forming bright, glowing letters over the ancient text.

"Legend tells of an old spirit who split himself into two separate beings, one good and one evil. The good, Lucian, was a kind power. He had the ability to shift into one of their many different forms to help other people. He was beloved by all and adored by his friends."

"The evil, Achlys, was one who lived up to his title, wreaking havoc and destruction everywhere he went, leaving a trail of chaos and negativity in his wake. Seeing what the other had come to, Lucian confronted him to protect the world and the people that he had come to love, battling against him for the span of almost a full decade, until he combined his powers and at last sealed away Achlys deep in the earth at the cost of his own life. His form shattered, creating stars and constellations in the night sky and bringing peace to the land."

Eggman finished reading the text, pushing a button on the translator to download and send everything he had just read back to his computer. As he turned back towards his hovercraft, there was a sharp scraping sound coming from behind him. The doctor looked back to see Metal, who had created the sound by scratching his fingers across the stone to gain Eggman's attention. Now that Metal had his attention, he pointed upward, to which Eggman's eyes widened in surprise at what he saw above.

Even more writing was on the ceiling and as well as what appeared to be pictures, all faded from the passage of time. Nevertheless, the translator was once again pulled out to salvage what little Eggman could see.

"Af er seali g Achlys a ay, it s said tha the spirit of Lucian return d to live on ins de a chos n hero for if Achlys ev r retur ed, he co ld be stop ed once aga n."

"That's it? Might as well take notes on this as well, might come in handy later." Eggman muttered as he downloaded it.

The pictures on the ceiling depicted two formless beings, one light, one dark, battling on a half destroyed landscape. The dark being was smoky, had long, sharp claws and the kind of face you'd see in nightmares. The lighter being had a kinder face, and appeared to have multiple versions of himself bursting out from his chest, all of them different but the same.

"Orbot, Cubot, we're going back to base."
Eggman got into his hovercraft and as it started up and began to float he was left to nothing else but his thoughts as he pondered the information.

————————————————————————
Woah this was a pretty big chapter.
(Over 700 words!)
Happy reading!