22. Fight

No, alcohol didn't make a vampire tipsy, but it did relax one who was trying to come to terms with his most recent conversation with his future mate. Adam had known it was something they'd needed to discuss, but he was confused about how to feel after the fact. He supposed it was better than her saying no outright, of course, but he was still impatient and greedy when it came to Quinn.

Quinn, whose bright red hair and dark green eyes had him enraptured like a school boy's first crush, though the feelings rooted so much deep that he felt they were already ingrained in him and were part of his soul.

He closed his eyes and thought back a couple hours.

"I have to step out for a few. Something for work, okay?" Adam didn't want Quinn thinking he was trying to get away from her, and he needed the space to make sense of what he knew was best for her. With her scent and presence clouding his judgement, it was a necessity.

"Everything okay?" She looked concernedly up at him, a wrinkle knotting her brow.

"Everything's fine," he reassured her. "I just need to go into the office for a bit, and then I might go out for a drink after that." He paused. "I'd take you with me, but it's dull paperwork and I'm sure any conversation we had at the pub or office would go over your head. All numbers and grotesquely flagrant elbow-rubbing." He chuckled and kissed her on the forehead.

He needed out of the house.

Now, he was certain that his parents were gone, though Charlie was staying at his house until the end of the week. She could only do so much of her work from afar, and she was pressing it as it was. She'd be taking the private jet back to New York on Friday.

And he hadn't lied, because he did need to make a pitstop at the office to grab a few files and fresh scripts, but his main goal was to gather some distance and think through things with an open mind. Adam knew he hadn't done that as of late, though he was getting better.

Now he was sitting in a tavern downtown, one that had pricey drinks and a more affluent clientele where the term "happy hour" didn't exist. He was sipping on some Macallan, a 15-year aged scotch that went down as smooth as blood. This was his second glass, ad he was finally feeling a little of the calm he'd been seeking.

His eyes closed after he took another sip. It was even better than the last, so he knew it was working. After another couple of moments just centering himself, he felt his cell phone vibrate in his pocket. He pulled it out to find he'd received a text message.

Dad: You still out? Your mother texted Quinn while she was on the phone with her parents. She said you went into the office. Everything okay?

Adam almost laughed. Though his father had handed over the reins to him, he still felt like Payne Media Management was his baby, and probably always would be, even when the company eventually changed names, was sold or merged with another business. Eli seemed to find more enjoyment in the stock market now, courtesy of his daughter, and liked dabbling in real estate, but he would always remember the business that started it all way back when.

He started texting his father back. He'd tell the truth to him, because he knew the man would understand.

Adam: I'm good, honestly. Just needed to pick up some paperwork from PMM and then grab a drink. After my talk with Quinn, I needed a little space, though I hate pushing her away like this. Her presence clouds my mind.

Dad: That's the mate pull, yes. It will only get worse with time. Quinn says that she's going to be completing her studies first before sealing the bond. How do you feel about that?