Chapter 9

It was only around six when Katelyn found herself awoken rudely by someone's knocks on her door. She grumbled, pulling her cover over her head and turning to her side, refusing to acknowledge it. Maybe she was still dreaming, or some sort of hallucination.

"KATELYN MARGARET ELLIS! OPEN THIS FUCKING DOOR BEFORE I KICK IT DOWN!"

And of course it was fucking James, because he wouldn't let her sleep in peace. She didn't answer him, throwing on her cardigan she had previously placed on her chair before walking slowly out towards the front door. James' knocks were continuious, and when Katelyn finally threw the door open, she let out a gasp. Her attitude was immediately dropped and she quickly ushed James in, closing and locking the door behind her.

Suddenly she was much more awake than before, sitting James down on her sofa as she went to her bathroom to grab the first aid kit. James was definitely badly beaten up, his lips were split and there was a gash on the side of his face, which was gushing with blood. Grabbing what she needed, Katelyn quickly found her way back to the living room, sitting besides James, she started wiping the blood off of his face with an alcohol wipe.

She worked in silence, frowning at the cut on his face. "Don't move, I'll be right back."

It was definitely too early to deal with this, but Katelyn knew her best friend needed her, and this whole experience has shaken her awake. Grabbing frozen peas from the fridge, she handed it to him. "Put it on your head, I'm going to wrap up your hand."

James held out his right hand, and she saw the red knuckles and blood on it. "Can you move it?"

He moved it with a wince. At least it isn't broken. Working quickly, Katelyn wrapped up his hand with a bandage after cleaning his wound, securing it with surgical tape. James was quiet the whole time, and Katelyn found herself glancing at him every so often, wanting so badly to ask what happened.

But she didn't, instead moving to check the would on the side of his face. It was still bleeding, which was definitely a bad sign. "You might need stitches," Katelyn spoke up softly, gesturing towards the wound. But James frantically shook his head.

"I'm not going to a hospital," he complained. "He's passed out on the couch, I can't... I just-"

Sobs escaped his body and Katelyn immediately pulled him into her arms, letting him sit there as she dug through the first aid kit, finding a butterfly-shaped bandage. It should probably do the trick. She gently nudged him up, taking the frozen peas away from his face and bandaging it up, giving him a small smile. "All good."

"Thank you," he hiccuped, and Katelyn pulled him into her arms again. Although being taller, Katleyn still allowed him to bury his face into her shoulder. "I just... I don't know who else to go to, and he took my phone, so I..."

"Hey," Katelyn whispered gently, tilting his head so he's looking up at her. She saw the hurt and brokenness within his brown eyes, when all the playfulness and jokes went away, leaving behind a broken child. "It's going to be okay. I still think you should-"

James quickly cut her off, sitting up abruptly, but Katelyn pulled him in again. "You can't. You can't call in child service, Katelyn. I know you want to help, but this is not it."

"So you're just going to suffer this in silence?" Katelyn protested. "Look what happened, James. This isn't a one time thing! I know your father once upon a time, James. He was such a kind of sweet man before-"

"Don't," James warned. "Don't say it. Don't say it."

Katelyn sighed. But she stayed quiet. The death of his mother had definitely hit both James and his father badly. As his father continued to lose his job, and seems to drown himself in alcohol. When James had called her the first time, sobbing hysterically over the phone and refusing to tell her what happened, she knew something was wrong.

"I want you to be safe, James," Katelyn muttered.

James shook his head, glancing at Katelyn accusingly. "You don't get to call in children or social service or whatever. What about those scars on your arms you always hide, huh? Those cuts I saw you cover with makeup, what do you say about those?"

"I got into a fucking fight," Katelyn snapped, subcousingly pulling on the cardigan sleeve lower. "Something accidentally cut my palm, that was different. This is your father we're talking about."

"No," James just shook his head. "You don't get to make decisions for me. I know he'll get better, okay? This will be the last time."

There were definitely more stories behind the wounds and scars, but Katelyn refused to talk about it. Everytime she thought about it, there were... flashes of memories. Like flashbacks, but only flashes. Then they're gone again. She knew it was definitely from her past household, because scars do not appear out of nowhere on someone. It just doesn't. And maybe some from two years ago had a reason for being there, but she's getting better, she knows she is.

"Let's just... not talk about it," Katelyn sighed, leaning back onto the sofa. It was too much for the morning.

"Okay," James gave her a forced smile. Katelyn just looked away. She hates that her best friend is doing this to himself. Sure, she believes that James' father could get better, but definitely not with alcohol still within his reach.

A sigh escaped her lips, and she pulled her legs up to her chest. It was definitely not her proudest moment, but Katelyn broke the silence. "You need fucking therapy, James."

"So do you," he grunted, turning to face her.

"I'm getting better," she countered.

"And I'm broke," James added.

Sighing, Katelyn glanced up at the ceiling, then at the clock. "We're a mess."

"Yes we are," James laughed dryly.

Katelyn gave him a small smile, before standing up again. "You want breakfast?"

"I would be insane to refuse your breakfast," James smiled, more real this time, but Katelyn could also see that he was closing himself up again. He's easy going smile was back, and Katelyn does her best to match his mood.