Chapter 10

The bike ride to the cafe was quiet. Her school has a late start for two days a week, and on those days, Katelyn would go in for work in the morning. But on the other three days, she works the afternoon shifts. Afternoon shifts are usually boring, not as many people get coffee later in the evening, so most of the time Katelyn spent her time at the counter catching up with homework. She doesn't work Friday or Saturday, and the cafe only opens in the morning on Sunday.

Plus she knew she couldn't exceed her work limit of eight hours per week, or else her boss would definitely force her home, or Kevin would do it for him. She parked her bike outside the backlot, locking it, before walking into the kitchen using the backdoor, where Tammy greeted her with a small smile.

"You're free to go," Katelyn laughed jokingly as she grabbed her apron and signed her name in the sheet, proving that she was not late. Tammy laughed at the joke, shaking their head before getting up from the stool.

"Have a good shift, Kate," Tammy called over their shoulder as they signed themself out and waved Katelyn goodbye before Katelyn found herself alone with three customers when the backdoor slammed shut.

Opening her backpack, Katelyn dug up her history textbook, deciding that reading history textbooks should definitely be the first thing she crossed out. Her notebook was beside her as she wrote down notes in cursive-like handwriting. Everyone had jokingly told her that she would definitely not be a doctor when she grew up, not that Katelyn minded. She didn't really want to be a doctor when she grew up, maybe an actress, but that dream also seems impossible.

When she was done with her history homework, only one customer left, and Katelyn placed her stuff aside as she got up, picking up the plates and cup and going into the back, placing it in the sink for later.

When Katelyn got back on the counter, she opened up math. Better get it over with then doing it later...

She was halfway through her biology homework when the bell rang, signaling the arrival of customers. Katelyn glanced up, a smile subconsciously appearing on her face when she saw Scarlett and Lizzie walking through the door. She closed her textbook with her pencil still in it to mark her spot, before placing her notebook on top of that. She stood up, walking towards the register. "Hey! What can I get you guys today?"

"Just the usual," Scarlett smiled, and Katelyn nodded, typing it in as she took the card handed to her by Scarlett, swiping it and handing it back to the actress. She quickly grabbed two cups, watching as another customer left, followed by the other one, leaving Katelyn alone in the store with the two actresses.

She made their drinks quietly, glancing up occasionally. "Isn't it too late to be having caffeine?"

"Isn't it too late for you to be working," Lizzie shot back jokingly, and Katelyn laughed.

"Good point. But this is my last shift of the week so... doesn't really matter."

Katelyn worked quickly, and when the coffees were done, she placed it on the counter, handing it to both Scarlett and Lizzie.

"Enjoy your drink," she smiled, and watched as Lizzie took a sip, looking satisfied. Scarlett leaned casually against the counter, fidgeting with her fingers. Katelyn raised her eyebrow at her. "Penny of your thoughts?"

Scarlett snapped out of whatever trace she was in, and Lizzie seemed to give her an encouraged look. Katelyn glanced between them, wondering what the hell would they want to tell her that would make them that nervous.

"We saw your tiktok," Scarlett blurted out instead, and Katelyn wanted to laugh at that. They want to tell her they've seen her tiktok? What's so scary about that fact?