Chapter 21: Memories Of Mars

And we are back, chapter twenty one let's go, enjoy. 

"Home sweet home." = Speaking

"Home sweet home." = Thinking/Mind linking

'Home sweet home.' = Writing

XxXxXxXxXx

(Mars POV)

A few days had passed since I spared with Mackenzie and there was a distinct shift in the pack, I was looked at as more than the alphas mate, I had proven myself in combat, not for the first time either.

i felt a tingle in my wrist and looked down at my scared right arm, faded and insignificant against the patchwork of other wounds I had sustained sat to pale dots, it had been a few years since I received them but the memories were never far from my mind.

Slowly old conversations started flitter and flow through my mind.

"Another mutt hm? Speak up!"

"I do not trust you but still... for now you will stay here, I may yet have need of you."

"He is like Anamaria, one of the first."

"What do you think we're going to do, we're going to fight."

"You still live, impressive."

"Help!"

"...Badly wounded and bloodied but alive, fled northwards beyond my reach."

"You will not stay, I know, but I owe you a debt, should you ever need an ally or home, you will find one here, with us."

Only when Asphra grabbed my wrist did the voices and memories flutter away into the back of my mind and my eyes snapped to Asphras which in turn were locked to my wrist.

"You've fought a vampire...?" Her voice trailed off, unsure if my mate was asking me a question or not I mind linked with her.

"I have but that bite was given willingly, to save another." I said through our link and Asphra eyed me curiously, and behind her curiosity I saw her underlying concern.

"We have not had vampires anywhere near her in generations, just how far have you traveled?" Asphra asked me, picking me up and sitting me on her lap on the couch, to which I reclined back onto her.

"A long way, I met the vampires in Romania, they were not unsimilar to packs in how they are structured, just a greater focus on strength and influence." I explained, which earned me a curious 'hmm' from Asphra.

"Well the strongest leads the covens as a whole and settles disputes, the queen is the oldest and strongest, so she leads." I continued and I felt my mate stiffen a little below me.

"You know the queen at all?" Asphra asked carefully and I took a moment to consider my words before responding.

"Yes, we had a mutual enemy and I stayed with her a few years ago, she became a friend to me." I explained and reached around to stroke Asphras hair comfortingly.

"Would you, tell me about her?" Asphra asked softly, snaking her arms around my waist and holding my close.

"She has the biggest rack I have ever seen." I replied and in an instant a deep, dominating growl came from my mate, "None of that now, she is smart, cunning and loyal, at the same time though she is a brutal combatant."

"I don't like her." Asphra muttered, burying her face into the back of my neck, "I... did you do anything with her?" My mate asked carefully.

"Breath love, it is okay, I won't lie to you, I did spend a night with her..., and her wife, but that was years ago, they are friends and nothing more, I love you, and nothing can change that." I replied reassuringly while rotating in her lap and wrapping my arms around her.

She was tensed and visibly trying to reign in her instincts, "Easy now, I am here now, here to stay, and I know it is not what you wanted to hear but I will not lie to you."

"I'm sorry." Came Asphra's quiet apology, holding Mars in as close to herself as she could manage.

"Don't worry, I know instincts are hard on us, no need to apologize for this, all is well." Mars reassured quietly, but in the back of her own mind thoughts began to resurface as to why she had come this far hunting the more feral of her kind.

"Would you be okay if I told Esphra about this?" Asphra asked softly, now calm once more, much to my relief, and I nodded to, other thoughts clouding my mind to the point I could hardly hear Artemis through the it all as one final memory passed back through my mind.

"I will see you again Whelp."

XxXxXxXxXx

And chapter twenty one is conquered, a bit shorter but I hope you enjoyed regardless, until next time.