2; Social Suicide?

"And then Harry said befriending Isaac is social SUICIDE! Can you believe it? Harry out of all possible people in the world? Has he looked in the mirror because mate, If I was him I wouldn't either? I wouldn't want to see his ugly ass personality each and every day." She shivered. The cold feeling that Harry carried with him into a room had followed her all the way to Nick's house. It was the last few days before the break was over and just like most other days Ingrid was spending them in the Nelson's living room, running her hands through Nellie's fur as Nick listened and furrowed his eyebrows. "He did not say that right? I mean the guy was right there, that's just rude."
"It's Harry Green of course he said that." Nicks's mom added, sipping her tea as she watched the two teens on her floor, petting the dog and chatting away. Sarah didn't always chip in on their conversation, I mean she did plenty but it still seemed to take Ingrid by surprise, every single time. She wasn't used to parents being home, showing interest in their children's lives, or showing interest in their children at all. 

Nick and Ingrid had taken a quick liking to one another after Nick started hanging out with Ben and Harry, it seemed as if they were both kind of struggling in the group they had found each other in. Not feeling 100% comfortable. Nick was always being praised and held up to incredible standards, he felt bad for the people that his friends bullied and teased. He was scared to move against Ben and decide his own narrative. Then there was Ingrid who was popular, just like Nick, thanks to her brother. It never felt genuine though, when a question got asked about her no one really knew the answer. None of her friends, if that was what she could call them, had cared enough to get to know her. The only one who cared to ask her what she was reading and how she had been doing was and is Nick Nelson. 

That is why Ingrid considered him the best person in the group and automatically her best friend. They spent every morning before school together, chatting and scolding their friends and when summer arrived they would occasionally skip friend hangouts to do exactly what they were doing now. Sit, talk, and give Nellie the love she deserves. The boys would tease Nick, saying he should simply share how cool he was for dating, hooking up, or going out with Ingrid, the hottest girl in school. Yet, that chemistry had never been there. It was all platonic, not that Nick wasn't handsome but he was his best friend. Nothing less, nothing more, and the laughs of some teenagers weren't going to stop her from hanging out with him.

"Exactly. He said it and he meant it and I think he is the biggest douchebag to ever exist." Nick laughed in return. "You think? More like you know." Ingrid sighed. "It just ticks me off, I like him and I want to be friends with him and the rest of his friends. What if my stupid brother and his stupid thinking are going to ruin that for me? What if his friends have already decided I am like him and I cannot change their minds? Nick put an arm around her and hugged her softly. "You're going to be fine tonight. I am sure Isaac and all his nerd friends will be amazed by your incredible nerdiness." He gave her a grin and the girl poked his side making him squeak and swat her hands away, he looked at the girl beside him and smiled before ruffling her hair and nudging her side. "You will be fine. What is there not to love?"

Ingrid lowered her voice and squeezed his cheeks between her hands as she mocked him. "What's there not to love?" She laughed and fell on her back. Forgetting her worries for a little while.