Chapter 4. Football tryouts

The next day at school, everyone stared and/or laughed at Mulan for what happened yesterday. But Mulan didn't care, she was just happy she could just be herself today. 

"Hey, are you sure you're alright?" Mushu asked with concern. He and Mulan were at their lockers.

Mulan just laughed. Mushu could act like a big brother sometimes and get worried very easily.

"Yes I'm fine." Mulan replied. 

"Okay." Mushu said.

As the two friends were walking down the hall, the announcements rang.

"Attention boys and girls this is your principal speaking , with some important news. Due to the Roraun high school coming in two weeks for the football game, we need more students to play on the team to stand a fair chance."

Mulan's eyes lightened up with excitement. She had been on many sports teams during her elementary and middle school years, but never a football team.

"So whoever wants to sign up, go to the front of the gym and meet Chi Fu."

"Don't think about it Mulan" Mushu said as he knew what Mulan was about to do. But it was too late, Mulan had already left.

"Next!" Chi Fu said as he signed off names on his board. 

After three other men signed up, it was Mulan's turn. 

I'm afraid you are in the wrong place little girl." Chi Fu said being a snort. He had a strong dislike for women since no girl would date him. "Cheerleading team is that way." 

"Actually I want to sign up for football practice." She said.

"Are you serious?" Chi Fu asked doubtfully. 

"Very" Mulan answered. 

Chi Fu looked at her for a second before laughing and causing Mulan to raise an eyebrow.

"What's so funny?" She asked annoyed. 

"You a girl who made a fool of herself yesterday, wants to join the football team." Chi Fu said smugly. 

"Hey, just because I'm a girl who makes a few mistakes, doesn't mean I can't play football."

"Actually it does mean that, we don't do mistakes in football," Chi Fu said, his voice very temperamental, "now run along, you're holding up the line of BOYS."

Mulan growled, her teeth clenched. She angrily stomped away from Chi Fu and the line of boys.

"Nice try." A voice of a familiar purple dress wearing girl said.

Mulan rolled her eyes, and turned around to see the three triplets smiling smugly at her. Well Mei and Ting-Ting were, Su was just standing there with a frown on her face, she had heard about the incident yesterday and felt sorry for Mulan. 

"Girls can't play football and you know it" Mei said smugly.

"You'll see, one day I'm going to prove it to you" Mulan said still upset from Chi Fu and his smugness.

"Sure, we'll believe you when you start acting like a girl, oh but that's right, you can't!" Ting-Ting said tauntingly.

Mei and Ting-Ting laughed and went toward first period, while Su just smiled and waved, but it wasn't a cackling smile, it was a friendly smile and wave. Mulan could see that Su wanted to be friends with her. 

While Mulan was taken warmly by Su and her friendly smile and wave, she still was feeling upset about Chi Fu treating her differently because she was a girl and how Mei and Ting-Ting laughed at her. 

She wouldn't let a few laughs and a sexist person slow her down. She realized that Chi Fu wouldn't let her on the team because she's a girl, so if she wanted to be on the team, she knew she had to be a boy. But which boy could she tell and impersonate? Some of the boys were signing up for sports other than football. Then she remembered one boy who was kind to her and hadn't signed up for football. More importantly he looked like her fraternal twin. She walked down the hall to go find him.