Chapter four.

Welcome to Cousins

Amelia woke up early the next morning, her body was used to it by now, being up for swim practice at six thirty every morning. She turned at looked at Belly, who was sound asleep in the bed they shared.

She slipped out from under the covers and made her way to the stairs. She tiptoed down into the kitchen, and spotted Laurel packing food for their trip.

"Do you need a hand?" Amelia spoke as she took a seat at the table across from Laurel.

"Jesus, Amelia you scared me." Laurel laughed as she put her hands on her chest. "What are you doing up so early?"

Amelia shrugged her shoulders, deep down she knew part of it was her excitement to get to Cousins.

"Just a habit, I guess." She replied. Laurel nodded as she started making Amelia her usual black coffee she had in the morning. This made Amelia smile, Laurel had taken the time to remember little details about her, that would be something her mother probably couldn't guess if she tried.

"So how are you?" Laurel asked as she put the coffee down in front of the girl. Amelia gratefully took the cup, taking a sip.

Amelia knew Laurel, and she knew what she meant by that question.

"I'm fine." Amelia replied not looking Laurel in the eye, scared she would fine out what was actually wrong. But it was Laurel, so she probably already knew what was wrong.

"I'm not prying, but I have known your mother for years, I know what she's like." Laurel sighed taking Amelia's hand across the table.

Amelia slowly looked at Laurel, as she spoke, "I don't really want to talk about it right now."

"That's fine, I'm always here at any time you want to talk." Laurel smiled squeezing the girls hand. Amelia smiled back at her.

"Let's make some sandwiches for the road. Get the tomatoes girl." Laurel said getting up from her seat as Amelia laughed at her fake girly accent she put on.

A couple of hours later, Amelia and Laurel had the car packed while Steven and Belly got up from bed. Steven decided to drive while Belly took shotgun with Amelia and Laurel in the back.

Belly turned and smiled at Amelia as their song came on the radio. Belly turned it up as both girls sang. "I feel the tension in the air. No I can't let you leave. So I kill my insecurities. Oh. You can't do better!"

"Can you guys turn it down a little?" Laurel asked as she glanced at the two girls. "Yes please." Steven agreed, as Amelia rolled her eyes at him in the mirror. Laurel hushed everyone as she spoke, "I want you all to be better at helping out this summer. Like don't just leave dishes in the sink. That includes not just your own dish Steven."

Steven frowned as Amelia spoke, "Yeah, Steven." Belly laughed as Steven flipped Amelia off in the mirror.

"I want you to be better houseguests." Laurel sighed. "Mom, Susannah has people who clean doesn't she?" Steven asked. Laurel smacked Stephen in the head which made Amelia and Belly burst into fits of laughter.

"Mom! Ow!"

"Just be considerate and act like I raised you right." Laurel sighed. "That means no staying out too late."

"Mom, I'm too old for a curfew." Steven complained as he eyed Laurel in the mirror. "Hey, what about me I don't have a curfew either, right?" Belly asked twisting around in her seat to look at Laurel.

"What do you need a curfew for? You don't go anywhere." Steven snickered. It was Amelia's turn to smack Steven, hard. "Don't be a jackass Steven." "What?" he asked in reply as Amelia rolled her eyes.

"Belly, we'll talk about it when it comes up." Laurel said as Belly turned back around to look at Steven. " "Don't forget you promised to take me driving." she said.

"Belly, I told you I would take you." Laurel said disappointedly as Belly sighed. "Yeah but your too judgy." Everyone in the car broke out laughing including Laurel, as Steven pulled up to a gas station.

Amelia hooked arms with Belly as they made their way to the snacks. Belly snatched a bag of Cheetos, opened them and started eating them while Amelia spotted some Reeses pieces candy. "You know Belly button, if Steven is an ass I can just hijack his car and take you driving." Amelia said smirking as she lifted a finger to brush the Cheeto dust of Belly's top lip.

"I would rather it was you, you wouldn't judge me." Belly said smiling. "Don't worry about it now. Go fetch us some drinks and I'll meet you at the register." Amelia said as Belly nodded.

The air conditioning was cooling Amelia down, as she made her way to the register. She was sweating so bad, after sitting in the car for hours. She looked up and caught the eye of some boy.

He was about her age, blonde and he was staring right at her. She placed her and Belly's stuff on the counter, as he spoke.

"Hey, you new this summer." "No I've been coming to Cousins for years." She replied.

"Really? I thought I knew every pretty girl in Cousins." He sighed as he scanned the snacks. Amelia's cheeks began to heat up as she smiled at him in response.

"You coming to the bonfire tonight?" He asked looking up as Amelia's eyes glanced over his gold name badge flicking in the sun.

He was called Jason.

"Um yeah. Maybe." Amelia replied. "Come I'll introduce you to some of my friends. You can bring your friend too." Jason said as he tilted his head over to Belly's direction.

"Sure, yeah. Thanks." Amelia said as she heard Laurel call their names. "I'll see you around." Amelia said as she left the counter. "I'll see you tonight." he shouts as his voice follows Amelia out of the store.

"Thought I'd save you from that boys awful flirting back there." Laurel muttered when everyone was back in the car. "Someone was actual flirting with Amelia, well that's a first." Steven said as he turned out of the gas station, back on the main road.

"Fuck you Steven, " Amelia said as she flicked a Reeses pieces candy at him. "Yeah Steven, I don't know what your talking about, you flirt with her all the time." Belly chimed in laughing.

Steven's face flushed red, as Laurel tried to calm everyone down, as Amelia and Belly were in stiches laughing.

Amelia glanced up at the car window as she saw the 'Welcome to Cousins beach' sign. That familiar sign filled her with so much comfort as she realised she was home.