Chapter 5

"What do you want with me?" Scarlett suddenly spoke, eyeing Steve

"What?"

"Well for one, I'm here, and not rotting in some jail cell, why is that?"

"You're too dangerous for a regular prison," Steve lied, eyes traveling around the room.

"You're lying"

"I'm not"

"For someone you believe is so dangerous you think I cant detect a lie?"

"I'm not obligated to tell you anything, remember who's in control here" 

"Dominant are we Captain? You use that line a lot?" Scarlett snickers.

Steve rolls his eyes, "Well what exactly is your plan here, Scarlett?" He spoke, spinning her question back towards her. 

"Whatever do you mean Captain?"

"You plan on just staying here in a cellar? If you just told us what we needed to know you'd be out of there"

"And what? You'd send me back into the wild?" 

"No, not exactly,"

Scarlett rolled her eyes, "Exactly, so I have no reason to tell you anything, you don't want to help me"

"We do"

"You don't! Stop saying you want to help me!" Scarlett snapped, tired of their blatant lies.

"We're not lying! Why do you think we would lie about wanting to help you?" Steve presses

"Because nobody wants to help me! How do you think I got here? They all lie!" She snapped.

"Who is they?" Steve asked, he felt as though they were getting somewhere, he felt slightly bad for pushing her but they were getting there.

"It doesn't matter. I do not trust you" 

"What will make you trust us?" 

"As long as I'm chained up in a cell surrounded by people who just think I'm a criminal, I will never trust you" She spits, laying back in the hospital bed, her eyes leaving him.

...

"How'd it go in there cap?" Tony asked, handing him a beer as they sat opposite everyone else.

"Good. I think" he starts, "I keep trying to explain to her that we could help her, and then she snapped, yelling about how nobody could truly help her and that all everyone does is lie"

"It seems to me like somebody took advantage of her," Natasha spoke, "It reminds me of me. If we could just get to gain our trust she might open up"

"How do we do that?" 

"We need to convince her she can trust us, that we won't hurt her, we can't exactly do that while she's cuffed and in a cellar" 

"So what we're just supposed to let her run free?" Steve asks.

"No, we could make a deal with her, if she agrees to open up she can take the cuffs off, get a room, and if she agrees, start the training."

"I guess it could work. I'm sure as hell it'll make Fury happy"  

...

Steve re-entered the infirmary where she was still laid. "Scarlett"

The girl laid silent, not acknowledging him.

"We want to make a deal with you," Steve explains.

Scarlett turns to face him, remaining silent.

Steve sighs, "If you open up to us, answer our questions, we'll take the cuffs off, you can stay in a real bedroom. You have to keep your power stoppers on for now." He explains.

Scarlett eyes him suspiciously, "I still don't exactly see how I'm benefiting from that, I'm still being trapped in here, just in a nicer room"

"Fury thinks you could be on our team. We want to help you, Scarlett. Help you move past this and become a better person. If we didn't want to help you, you'd be in a real jail cell but I'm offering you this, we aren't lying to you"

Scarlett stayed silent for a moment, of course, she didn't initially believe him, she couldn't believe that anyone would want to help her, but the more she thought about it, the less she wanted to stay in that jail cell, she wouldn't tell them everything, just a bit of stretching the truth and maybe she could get out of it. 

"Fine, but I will only talk to Romanoff, anyone else and it's not happening," She told him. She knew what happened to Natasha was most similar to her, she only felt comfortable telling her, plus, she didn't like any of the men especially the one sat before her. 

"Alright," Steve agreed, standing up to go get Natasha.

"Screw me over and you will regret it, power stoppers or not you don't know what I'm capable of" She spoke softly, sending a stern glare his way.

Steve said nothing, instead of walking out back into the living area, "Nat, she wants you" Steve says.

"Why?"

"She agreed but she says she'll only speak to you" Steve explains, "You just yell if she causes a problem"

Natasha nods after a moment, getting up and walking the room, replacing Steve. 

Scarlett watched as Natasha sat in the chair beside her, glancing over at her. 

"So," Natasha speaks, "I was told you'd only speak to me, is that right?"

"Yes" She responded simply

"Why's that?"

"Because you'll understand"

"How so?"

Scarlett stayed silent for a moment, before opening her mouth once more, "I was trained, like you"

"Trained by who?"

"My father" 

"Who's your father," she asked

"I don't know"

Natasha gave her a slightly puzzled look, "You don't know?"

"I can't remember, as much as I try, its only blurred images" 

"How'd you get your powers"

"I don't know"

"It seems there is a lot of stuff that you don't know" Natasha points out

"You think I'm lying."

"Are you?"

"No" she retorts, "I don't trust people because of what they did to me. They said they'd help me, but they didn't, they made me forget, I came out with powers I didn't know what to do with and barely any memories, that's why I don't remember, that's why I don't trust you"

"Who is they? who did that?" Nat asks although she thinks she had a hunch

Scarlett simply shrugs, "Don't know" 

"If you were wronged like you say you've been, why do you go around and kill people?"

Scarlett scoffed slightly, "I'm only doing what I was taught, I need to make a living, the same way you do,"

"That's not what we do," Natasha spoke,

"So you say,"

Natasha sighs, "Anything else?"

"No, I'm finished"

...

"So, did you hear all that?" Nat asks as she walked back into the living room.

Steve nods, "We did"

"You believe her?" Tony asked

"I think so, though I believe she may be leaving out some small things," Nat explains, "But I believe her enough"

Steve nods, "Alright,"

...

AN

chapter 5 enjoy! Now that she is out of the cell it's time for tension!!!